Difference in SIPS-DS lifestyle

I am going to come out and say it. Two things would disqualify the SADI for me:

1. Significant chance of bile reflux due to the loop created.. .
2. The lies that some surgeons have put out there describing the procedure and with coding for insurance.

I just read the article that DSGriggs linked to. I would say that there is a real risk of misinformation from certain types of physicians, and certainly a strong risk of confusion for patients. I didn't feel that risk at a world class academic medical center. I felt no pressure at all, and my surgeon sat at the foot of my bed and went over the differences one last time the morning of my operation in pre-op and then asked if I was sure that I wanted a SIPS procedure rather than a DS. He reminded me that the SIPS was new and that there would be answers that no one would be able to give me possibly in my post op clinic visits. Part of my study includes monthly visits with the staff psychologists, who is one of the most published researchers in the country regarding issues related to obesity and bariatric surgery. So, I feel very informed and have access to a very strong support team. My surgeon gave my husband his personal cell right after surgery so we could call direct with any questions on post surgical issues.

My logic, purely my own, not as a result of anything that medical staff said to me was that a SIPS was the most conservative course of action for me. If I had long term issues with malabsorption etc., it is a relatively small procedure to revert to a sleeve, and if I didn't maintain a healthy weight, it's a small revision to a full DS. My common canned is 300 cm, or half of the average intestine overall.

I had a pre-op support protocol that included a massage and accupuncture. Duke did a study and found that patients who had this particular pr-op lost less blood and decreased recovery time by about 50%. In my case, I was out of the hospital in 36 hours, and cleared for full activity in 12 days, which is a lot less than the 6-8 weeks of no heavy lifting that they prep you for. My early results were very DS like. I lost 22 lbs in the first three weeks. I continued to lose at he rate of about 10 lb a month for about 4 months. I did end up having my gall bladder removed almost exactly 4 months after my SIPS. To quote my surgeon, " Losing weight very quickly can piss off a gall bladder to no end. A lot of surgeons do it as a standard part of DS surgery, but since only about 30% of patients end up needing the gall bladder removed, unless there is a compelling reason, I don't usually." I was quite impressed with my surgeons commitment to me personally. Any GI surgeon could remove a gall bladder, but when my ultrasound came back, he personally flew back from a conference where he was speaking early, and did my gall bladder as well as an endoscopy to check my entire digestive tract.

Thank you for posting the pics and your story! I wanted the ds but in the end got the sips on dec 18th, this gives me hope that I can still lose!

Basically, put military and training hospital together you get what you get. I even asked to verify, waiting to go into surgery measurements etc to know I was getting the DS. Resident comes in next morning and tells me I got the sips but he wasn't saying the acronym right which I corrected him on and then proceeded to chew him out about car parts since that's what I do and know. Told him it was like ordering a carburetor and getting an oil pump, i'm sure the interns didn't make points either when they said or the wrong make of car part. I told him I had no idea they were even doing the sips at this hospital or I would of had the consent form worded differently. He said well it's the same and we aren't going to go back in there and do the same surgery and I told him I wouldn't let them in there again cause they might decide to remove a kidney or something!

I just had my post-op appointment and talked to the actual surgeon and then I was off and venting again. He tells me we do what we think is best and since I wasn't a light weight but not super obese and a revision they did the sips. That it's easier (the main reason in my opinion) and being a revision and better because of the malabsorption because they had had many that were malnutritioned before they even lost all the weight etc. I told him it would of been so different if i'd had a clue you even did the surgery here and the resident tried to tell me that you both talked about it in the presurgery apt but you did not. I am still not happy with this and regardless of type of surgery if I ever need another surgery of any kind the consent form will be filled in different cause I have lost trust in any of you. I never trusted docs in the first place and I read about this happening to others elsewhere and had I known it was done here I would of also had the consent form done differently. He did ask when I asked about the numbers cause the dingy resident same the channel was 450cm or some huge number and everything I read was 300cm and he said oh now it's 250-300cm and how they measured etc. So he went out and got the numbers, how the gall bladder was and appendix included in case I asked. Oh and another reason, takes less time!

In parting, I do feel better now that I got that off my chest and let him know how I felt. Nothing I can do about it cause the consent said DS and they call it a form of DS. I told him from now on you all should make darn sure that the patient knows that you do the sips here and let them know up front that you are going to do that as i'm pretty sure you knew you were going to do it before I even showed up that morning. I'm just going to have to deal with it is all I can say cause i'm not letting anyone in there again.

Which surgeon?? Can you file some sort of complaint?? The SIPS IS NOT A DUODENAL SWITCH!! YOU'VE BEEN ASSAULTED AND BATTERED WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT! You have been given an EXPERIMENTAL procedure WITHOUT FULLY INFORMED CONSENT!! OMFG!!

Forgot to add, I had surgery on Dec 18th was out on the 20th and new years day did a classic car cruise. Although it was open it's healing well. Had the staples out over a week ago cause they were really making things sore!! I just drove for 30 miles doing the cruise. But couple days ago got groceries and since i'm on weight lifting restriction of over 20lbs I had to bring them in one bag at a time like 30 trips and felt like I had run a marathon after! Was ready for a nap then!

As for the surgery, guess I should feel lucky I didn't end up with a RNY!

Not really anything I can do except complain that I didn't know about the surgery I got through patient advocacy but most they would do is inform the surgeons there was a complaint most likely. It's kind of like those cards at businesses asking how did we do or trucks with how is my driving.
I argued the point about the DS and SIPS is not the same but got nowhere as in these surgeon's minds it is. Seems like that all over doesn't it!!

This was Carter, he's not on any kind of listing for wls i'm sure, Madigan has their surgeons that most don't just do WLS but all surgeries as most are in the military themselves. Insurance wise it didn't cost me a dime unless I get a bill for $12 for the hospital stay. Since the consent form read Duodenal Switch and they consider the sips a variation of the same then I signed consent for all of the above. Which is why I told him if I had any surgery in the future the consent form would be itemized or something and not a general term of what is to be done. Everyone that has ever had this surgeon for well over the 7 yrs I've known of him loves him. The difference is I seem to be the only one that wasn't happy with the surgery I got and wasn't informed about. They (all included) have done only 70ish. I wonder if any have sips and think it's the same? There was one girl in support group that is getting it and another that already got it but I only know of those 2. They were shocked I got it and not know I was including the one leading the group who took notes on it.

I'm sorry - he may be in the military, but there MUST be a chain of command and I would assume he MUST be licensed in the state? File a complaint with his medical board? Call an attorney and ask - you did NOT give informed consent and not matter WHAT he says SIPS IS NOT DS!! It is an EXPERIMENTAL procedure that you were given WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT! How could you consent to an experimental procedure when you weren't told you were getting one?? Failure to obtain fully informed consent is a civil tort at least, and possibly a CRIME.

He is licensed in Washington - and he is 71 years old - WTF is he doing still operating?? How DARE he do this? FILE A COMPLAINT!! Don't let him do this to anyone else!!
http://www.doh.wa.gov/LicensesPermi...mplaintAboutProviderorFacility/ComplaintForms

Deb I am so sorry that you were flat out lied to, deceived and given a procedure to which you did not consent. As Diana has said, what he did to you was a huge violation of your rights. You were assaulted and I would be getting an attorney involved. He was not within his rights to give you a procedure to which you did not consent.

Latest posts

Back