Diarrhea: SIBO, C. diff or ?

DianaCox

Bad Cop
While I’m sure this is related to some extent to my DS (almost 16 years out), it doesn’t require seeing a bariatric doctor. I’ve been having increasingly frequent and liquidy poops for the past 2-3 weeks, but it has gotten a lot worse in the last 2-3 days. To the extent that for the second morning in a row, after waking up multiple times to run to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I had an accident in bed around 6 am.

It smells pretty bad. So it could be C. diff, but I think I need to go to the doctor before self-medicating with my stash of Flagyl. Since yesterday, I have felt very weak and shaky too, and my blood pressure is pretty low (93/59 - my bp is usually pretty low though), so despite the fact that I have been hydrating OK, it may not be enough. I ate a steak and veggies last night, but I couldn’t choke down my supplements.

Waiting for a call-back from PCP’s office. UGH.

Unless you have been on antibiotics recently, C diff is unlikely. My vote would be for bacterial overgrowth. And any liquidy poop is going to smell awful, just consider how much extra surface area of poop there is when liquid vs solid. Your pcp (and/or you) may still want to be tested for C diff, but hopefully that's not what it is.

That’s likely what it is. I have no issues with self-administering Flagyl for gas issues (I keep a stash on-hand, but haven’t used it for a year or two at least), but I feel pretty ill, so I want to be checked out first.

Could also be garden variety gastroenteritis, with you feeling so ill. Given how you are feeling, best to get it checked out.

Washed and replaced sheet (again). 15 min later, coughed and had ANOTHER accident. AARRGGHH! Appointment with my PCP is at 1:40.

Pushing fluids, bp is still low but a smidge better.

Doctor thinks it might be diverticulitis - ?? I've had a steroid shot and an antibiotic shot in the ass (bled on the floor - that was odd), and blood work (had to be stuck twice because I'm so dehydrated) and 4 different types of poop tests that I had to "scoop" (although it was like loose mucousy aspic - ghaaah!) into little jars - it smells so bad! Went to Walgreen’s to pick up scripts for Flagyl and Levofloxacin, as well as Pepto, Imodium and Metamucil, plus Gatorade and chicken soups. Hitting it hard.

CT scan on Monday if I'm not better.

I haven’t felt this crappy in quite a long time. OTOH, I weighed only 179.9 :)

I had never heard of getting a steroid shot for diarrhea, but I haven’t pooped in 6 hours. I guess that confirms it was an inflammatory process? Still feeling a bit woozy (bp 84/48) but pushing fluids and trying to get all the meds down (even the thought of swallowing Pepto makes me gag, but I got one dose down). Had a couple of short naps today.

I bought my first package of Depends today too, just in case. :eek: I’m not washing sheets again, nor carpet. (Since our cats seem to prefer barfing on the carpet, we already have a carpet cleaning routine and supplies.)

This brings back one of the worst experiences of my life. Involving catching a parasite in Cancun, getting kicked off the flight home in New Orleans, rushed by ambulance w my son to the ER, and having to (the 2 of us, sick and alone) check into a Days Inn. Nobody would come do our laundry, for any money. I did it, wrapped in a sheet, while shitting down my legs. Then, we flew home trying not to shit our pants. We were followed up by the CDC.

The only experience worse than that involved showering in a seldom-used cabin with tiny maggots climbing up me from the drain. My kids were small, and still tell this story, and of Gus having to check my ears, hair, and everywhere to pick them off. Which I still have not recovered from. Followed by another equally traumatic time with a clot in a surgical drain post tummy tuck. Clots can apparently be shaped into any form. These particular clots formed inside the drain TUBE, and so looked like worms. Which my narcotic induced mind harked back to the maggot incident, and I was convinced I was infested with worms from those maggots.

Moral of story: Never call the ER while in a narcotic induced state of mind. It can result in a "wellness check" by your doctor.

I am still traumatized.

This brings back one of the worst experiences of my life. Involving catching a parasite in Cancun, getting kicked off the flight home in New Orleans, rushed by ambulance w my son to the ER, and having to (the 2 of us, sick and alone) check into a Days Inn. Nobody would come do our laundry, for any money. I did it, wrapped in a sheet, while shitting down my legs. Then, we flew home trying not to shit our pants. We were followed up by the CDC.

The only experience worse than that involved showering in a seldom-used cabin with tiny maggots climbing up me from the drain. My kids were small, and still tell this story, and of Gus having to check my ears, hair, and everywhere to pick them off. Which I still have not recovered from. Followed by another equally traumatic time with a clot in a surgical drain post tummy tuck. Clots can apparently be shaped into any form. These particular clots formed inside the drain TUBE, and so looked like worms. Which my narcotic induced mind harked back to the maggot incident, and I was convinced I was infested with worms from those maggots.

Moral of story: Never call the ER while in a narcotic induced state of mind. It can result in a "wellness check" by your doctor.

I am still traumatized.
Now I am, too.

Latest posts

Back