Diabetic Rice???

Munchkin

Full of Fairy Dust
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back when my T2 was active, any of the white carbs set me on the path to high BG, despite the GI claims. Part comes from the distinction betwen GI (glycemic index)and GL (glycemic load). Eat enough of anything starchy and your BG will shoot up

These days I seem to have a little wiggle room, though I still don't do rice, not even low GI rice

Fwiiw... have you tried Farro? Not rice, but an ancient wheat, with a GI of ~40. I started using it in place of couscous in a Moroccan stew

Bob's red mill carries it.I find it delicious. You can buy it any where

More than you might want to know
Yikes. 1/4 cup is 29 carbs AFTER I subtract the fiber. It is the same as white flour. Would I like it. Sure! It has carbs! I can think of lots of things I could do with farro. I have a vitamix. I could turn it into flour easily.

I have been looking for the exact carb count on the rice. Haven't found it yet.

Yikes. 1/4 cup is 29 carbs AFTER I subtract the fiber. It is the same as white flour. Would I like it. Sure! It has carbs! I can think of lots of things I could do with farro. I have a vitamix. I could turn it into flour easily.

I have been looking for the exact carb count on the rice. Haven't found it yet.
Sounds like a repeat of the Dreamfield pasta.

Publication on researchgate

Fat/carb/protein in table 1

Abstract Background/Objective: To determine the glycemic index (GI) of RNR15048 rice variety and study its effectiveness in reducing postprandial blood glucose levels and the regulation of lipid profile in patients with type 2 diabetes. Subjects/Methods: The GI of RNR15048 rice was measured in 54 healthy subjects in the age group of 30-50 years. The dietary intervention study was conducted in 80 subjects with diabetes in the age group of 40-60 years where 40 test subjects replaced their regular rice with RNR 15048 rice variety for 3 months. Anthropometric and biochemical parameters, HbA1c, fasting blood glucose, lipid profile, insulin were determined before and after the study. Results: The glycemic index (GI) of RNR 15048 rice variety was observed to be low with GI of 51.72 ± 3.39. The dietary intervention study in type 2 diabetic subjects revealed significant decrease in fasting blood glucose (158.4 ± 9.30 vs 140.2 ± 8.87 mg/dL) and HbA1c levels (7.1 ± 0.34 vs 6.1 ± 0.33 %) with an increase in HDL levels (33.7 ± 1.29 vs 37.1 ± 1.83 mg/dL) while parameters such as body weight, blood pressure and insulin levels did not show any significant changes.

Conclusion: Low GI rice is effective in the reduction of postprandial glucose response in type 2 diabetes and increase in plasma HDL levels and therefore useful in the management of type 2 diabetes and in the long term management of cardiovascular diseases. Keywords: blood glucose, glycemic index, glycosylated haemoglobin, low GI rice

Cite This Article: Prasanthi Prabhakaran Sobhana, Jeyakumar Shanmugam Murugaiha, Panda Hrusikesh, Srinivas Epparapalli, and Damayanti Korrapati, “Development of Low Glycemic Inde
(3) (PDF) Development of Low Glycemic Index Rice and Its Effectiveness in the Regulation of Postprandial Glucose Response in Type 2 Diabetes. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/public...tprandial_Glucose_Response_in_Type_2_Diabetes [accessed May 09 2020].
Thanks!!! I was SO looking forward to rice again but the carb count is ridiculous. Don't know they get by with that SF label.! Oh well.

Latest posts

Back