Day after my surgery and I feel awful.

KellyJoy74

Hi. I had surgery yesterday and I feel terrible. I take just small sips of water and I've thrown up 3 times today. I am having bouts of nausea. Anyone else experience this???

Since you posted this in the VSG forum, I'm assuming that's the operation you just had.

Take heart! Many people have nausea and throw up after any major surgery, esp with general anesthesia, and or course having your stomach cut on doesn't help. I experienced this after my DS - different operation, but same anesthesia and same stomach portion. By the next day I felt a lot better. You will feel better day by day as well. Some people recover faster than others, but it's not a competition or a race. Just remember that this is for the long haul, and the temporary misery of recovery is worth it.

you are out of the hospital already? did you get any medication to take? most people don't feel very good for awhile.

I hope you feel better soon. - keep posting and update us.

and WELCOME! since this is your first post you get sparkly flowers.

get_well_soon_007.gif

Yes, I had the VSG & I am in the hospital now. Dr says I should keep sipping water but I can't keep it down. Just a little worried that this was normal for others after the surgery. I don't know another soul that's had it.

Ask about better nausea meds and about an acid reducer. Those should help. On the whole, though, lots of people are in sheer misery that first day or two, so I'd say yes, it's pretty "normal." But that doesn't mean they shouldn't make efforts to reduce that misery!

I don't remember much about the day after, but I think feeling horrible is pretty normal. However, make sure that the nurses know and give you meds to help!! Keep trying to drink -- it gets better, I promise!!

Does your water have ice in it? Ask for room temperature water. I am 3 weeks out and still can not tolerate anything on ice, I am fine with drinks any other temp even right out of the refrigerator. Get the nausea and acid reducer meds they will help.

Also Welcome!

Thanks so much guys!!! You helped me so much! I was beginning to panic. I feel much better today. I stopped throwing up or dry heaving and I have been able to keep water down. I really haven't had anything else though. I can't even think about the broth they are bringing me. My dr says I will be ok as long as I stay hydrated. I do have another question though, what kind of multi vitamins are you taking and when did you start them? So happy I found y'all!

@KellyJoy74, if you have a Costco, the best Multi is the Kirkland Daily. Otherwise any store brand that is a Centrum equivalent.

While you need to start the vitamins reasonably soon, the next day to week, focus just on hydration. Once you have the nausea under control, then start introducing the Multi.

I also use the Costco multi.

But as others have said, don't sweat the vitamins just yet. If you can stay hydrated you are doing great. The rest will follow.

Latest posts

Back