Daily lax-stool softener

Settledownnow

Looking for someone with advanced knowledge of laxatives and stool softeners!

I know many people use Miralax and Colace stool softeners. Are those the only types that are safe for regular use? When I had hernia surgery and was taking pain meds, my surgeon prescribed Senna-lax which is a combo stool softener and laxative. Senna-lax works well for me, better than Miralax, but I'm thinking we need to stay away from stimulant laxatives. I also have concerns about the impact of stool softeners/laxatives on electrolytes such as potassium.

I use Costco's version of fiber in capsule form. The trade name (not Costco) is Fiber-con, but Costco's is cheaper. That way I can avoid drinking liquid sand (aka Metamucil and similar products).

@Settledownnow,

As heads up, long term use is not recommended for Miralax, a.k.a. polyethylene glycol or PEG. The manufacturer states on the label that it is for occasional constipation *up to 7 days*, unless otherwise directed by a doctor. You've got to do what you've got to do and many people take it for years, but there are also thousands of entries in the FDA Adverse Event Reporting System. Most concerns center around neurological symptoms consistent with potential exposure to ethylene glycol, which is a neurotoxin, and which may be present if PEG degrades or is metabolized rather than excreted.

I recommend magnesium hydroxide as a natural osmotic laxative.

Latest posts

Back