COVID Tests

Yet another PSA from our Spiky. And, thank you.
Too long and only marginally related, but it IS medical and not related to bariatric surgery:

I had to do SOMETHING that wasn’t running around cleaning up behind MrSue.

I show “signs of aging” on several fronts. The ones that bother ME most are losing a word or my place in a sentence. And occasionally forgetting something I did. (When reminded, though, I recall. I haven’t…yet…entered that “I’ve-never-said/done-any-such-thing” stage.)

My hero, however, has a SERIOUS gap in Executive Function, thanks to one or more Silent Strokes. The last time that I lost my cool was when MiniSue took him to the Ophthalmologist last week. I had been nagging him to go because he can’t see shit. (He’s supposed to be the one in this relationship who can’t hear; I’m the one who can’t see.). So yes, of course, he was going to need new glasses. But once the doctor told him he couldn’t see because of a cataract, the reasonable thing to do would be to put the glasses on hold and schedule the cataract surgery, right? (Because his vision would be changing post-op.)

But HE cannot think that flexibly. In his mind, he couldn’t see, so he went to the doctor for an Rx for new glasses. Well, first, this guy doesn’t DO refractions; he sends you to the optometrist. I set him up with the MD so that we could rule out any OTHER PROBLEMS causing visual issues. And I told him that. But he couldn’t see well, so he just wanted to get glasses. He told the doctor he’d need to talk to me re surgery, but right now, he needed to go to the optometrist.

And it isn’t just big stuff. It’s all day, every day. At some point, we decide to nuke a potato and asparagus for dinner. He’s standing closest to the asparagus, so he’s about to put it in the microwave. I point out that the potato will take longer to cook and will stay warm while the asparagus cooks. But if we START with the asparagus, it will get cold while the potato cooks. He just cannot think that far ahead. Simple stuff.

Yesterday, MiniSue’s boyfriend came to help him demo a wall. As soon as they arrive, MrSue positions himself to perform a one-man task, leaving Boyfriend sitting here wondering WHY he was here. I had to go tell MrSue that since we had a helper ready to start working, RIGHT NOW would be a great time to do the parts that required TWO workers. He, of course, was pissed at my micro-managing him. But anymore, I need to, almost all the time.

He’ll be 70 in November. At that time I’ll be 2.5 months shy of 76. I think we’ve got this senility thing back-asswards.

I’m exhausted.

(My vision is GREATLY improved, but not back to normal.)

Last edited:
((((((((((Hugs))))))))) Spiky. It’s hell getting old. It’s hell watching your partner get old. Especially when you’re the older of the two like you and me. I didn’t realize you and I had about the same age gap between us and our spouses.

Btw, I am glad your vision is improving.

((((((((((Hugs))))))))) Spiky. It’s hell getting old. It’s hell watching your partner get old. Especially when you’re the older of the two like you and me. I didn’t realize you and I had about the same age gap between us and our spouses.

Btw, I am glad your vision is improving.
Yes! And these young’ens are SUPPOSED TO last forever!

You're such a good friend to your husband. It's lovely to see it in your words. Take care and keep being amazing!

You're such a good friend to your husband. It's lovely to see it in your words. Take care and keep being amazing!
LOL…I’m not 100% sure he’d see it that way!

But, tomorrow is our 49th anniversary. And it seems like only yesterday…no, wait! It seems like a thousand ye…no, that isn’t right either!

Well, it seems like one day short of 49 years!

My hero, however, has a SERIOUS gap in Executive Function, thanks to one or more Silent Strokes.

that is so hard, especially on YOU..

He’ll be 70 in November. At that time I’ll be 2.5 months shy of 76. I think we’ve got this senility thing back-asswards.

I’m exhausted.

like Liz said, glad your vision is better. and Happy Anniversary! I'm so glad you have each other but remember: caretaking - which is what you are doing (or working towards) IS exhausting and you have to take care of yourself first. (you know, like with the O2 mask on an airplane?)

I know you know this but it's one of those things that never goes without saying.

:5grouphug:

Latest posts

Back