Constipation

Marge

Had to up my iron and now constipated. Milk of Magnesia worked overnight. Which is great, but I do expect the problem to be a reoccurring problem.
Read somewhere to take MiraLax as part of a daily routine. What is the best way to handle this? It’s Iron causing constipation not calcium. I’ve taken basically the same calcium since my DS 10 years ago. Thank you.

Had to up my iron and now constipated. Milk of Magnesia worked overnight. Which is great, but I do expect the problem to be a reoccurring problem.
Read somewhere to take MiraLax as part of a daily routine. What is the best way to handle this? It’s Iron causing constipation not calcium. I’ve taken basically the same calcium since my DS 10 years ago. Thank you.

Hi Marge , I highly recommend magnesium hydroxide, especially because it is the active ingredient in milk of magnesia and that worked for you. There are a number of options. You can take Pedialax watermelon-flavored chewables, Philips mint chewables or Natural Calm drinks.

As heads up, while some people take MiraLax long term and swear by it, it is not approved for long term use and there tens of thousands of adverse reactions reported in the FDA database, many of these are neuropsychiatric events and there are even some deaths. There is some evidence that a bit of the Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) 3350 may break down in the shelf or in a human body into its component ethylene glycol, which is a known neurotoxin. So if magnesium works for you, I'd avoid Miralax. Why take that risk if not needed?

Hi Marge , I highly recommend magnesium hydroxide, especially because it is the active ingredient in milk of magnesia and that worked for you. There are a number of options. You can take Pedialax watermelon-flavored chewables, Philips mint chewables or Natural Calm drinks.

As heads up, while some people take MiraLax long term and swear by it, it is not approved for long term use and there tens of thousands of adverse reactions reported in the FDA database, many of these are neuropsychiatric events and there are even some deaths. There is some evidence that a bit of the Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) 3350 may break down in the shelf or in a human body into its component ethylene glycol, which is a known neurotoxin. So if magnesium works for you, I'd avoid Miralax. Why take that risk if not needed?
thank you so very much!! I don’t want don’t want to mess with neuropsychologist issues. I take meds for depression and I would be concerned if there are issues. Thanks so much

Good idea! Worth a try!!!

Thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator:
hope this works for you - I almost suggested it then decided to wait for a DSer to speak up.

Benefiber WORKED!!! 3X A DAY!! EASY!

How about changing your iron source to one that is less constipating? I like Proferrin, which is heme iron. Pros: absorbs better and causes fewer GI issues. Con: it is more expensive.

Latest posts

Back