Constipation

Allison Mupas

Hello folks,
I am 19.5 years out from my original DS and 23 days out from my revision DS! I am getting all my protein and fats minimal carbs and I am still feeling constipated and bloated? Why???
Help! Xposted

My surgeon then was very conservative and left a very long alimentary limb and common channel as well as a really big stomach. It was only his 1st or 2 bday DS back then as it was so new! So I lost but had quick full regain. So Dr K revised me to the Hess method!

IMG_2424.PNG IMG_2423.PNG

At this stage, cut back on your carbs (unless they are milk based carbs), focus on fluid and add a stool softener every day for now.

Once you get past the 4-6 week mark, add more fat. http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/fats-are-not-the-enemy.3185/ At your early stage, you are about right on fat but lack of fat will constipate you. Esp if you are taking ALL your calcium and iron. But too much fat will give you the runs.

As far as carbs are concerned. SOME people have to be very careful...no more than 30 total (not net) a day. Some can't do more than 50. Then there are those of us who need more. I needed 70-100 during my weight loss phase, maintenance is 100-150 grams. The TYPE of carb makes a big difference as well. And while all carbs start turning into sugar in the mouth, complex turns into sugar slower than simple carbs.

More fat. Also, how much iron and calcium are you taking? You might not be able to take the same amount you were taking pre-revision and not get constipated. When I cut back on my calcium it helped a lot. Recommend a cupful of Miralax a day until you can get this sorted out. In my experience, stool softeners help, but not nearly as much as Miralax.

At this stage, cut back on your carbs (unless they are milk based carbs), focus on fluid and add a stool softener every day for now.

Once you get past the 4-6 week mark, add more fat. http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/fats-are-not-the-enemy.3185/ At your early stage, you are about right on fat but lack of fat will constipate you. Esp if you are taking ALL your calcium and iron. But too much fat will give you the runs.

As far as carbs are concerned. SOME people have to be very careful...no more than 30 total (not net) a day. Some can't do more than 50. Then there are those of us who need more. I needed 70-100 during my weight loss phase, maintenance is 100-150 grams. The TYPE of carb makes a big difference as well. And while all carbs start turning into sugar in the mouth, complex turns into sugar slower than simple carbs.
My carbs are almost all milk based carbs! Thank you!!

Latest posts

Back