Constipation issues

bertgamble2001

Hello,

I am 12 days post SIPS and have been experiencing pretty severe constipation. The doctor said it would be the other way around and I would go more often and it would be loose.

Anybody have experience with this? Suggestions on what to do besides the occasional laxative?

Thank you!

At this early stage, stool softeners and eat nothing low or no fat. You don’t want added fat but if you drink milk, make it full fat not low or skim.

This advice changes as you get much further out.

I only know DSer need more fat from reading here.

the thing you need to remember is to ask here and listen to Liz (Southernlady) and the other DSers who know, because your doctor/s are likely not going to have the right info for someone with your surgery.

Hello,

I am 12 days post SIPS and have been experiencing pretty severe constipation. The doctor said it would be the other way around and I would go more often and it would be loose.

It will be....

Anybody have experience with this? Suggestions on what to do besides the occasional laxative?

Thank you!

My understanding, Post surgery, the residual effect of anesthesia is to stop/slow peristalsis, the action that moves chine through the intestines. During the long/slow transit through the large intestine alot of the water is removed from the stool, which then gets stuck inside...a double whammy

Try a lubricated/medicated enema... the lubrication helps the enema slide in and the dried stool slde out, the medication will slow the removal of water from the stool and make it softer.

Works a lot quicker than a laxative, in roughly one hour

You only have to do this for a short time, mabe even only once, till the residual effect of anesthesia wears off

It will be....

My understanding, Post surgery, the residual effect of anesthesia is to stop/slow peristalsis, the action that moves chine through the intestines. During the long/slow transit through the large intestine alot of the water is removed from the stool, which then gets stuck inside...a double whammy

Try a lubricated/medicated enema... the lubrication helps the enema slide in and the dried stool slde out, the medication will slow the removal of water from the stool and make it softer.

Works a lot quicker than a laxative, in roughly one hour

You only have to do this for a short time, mabe even only once, till the residual effect of anesthesia wears off
I am nearly a month out now and still having issues. Not the spooning it out severity it’s started as, but still painful every day. I take stool softeners every night and they seem to help some, but this is a far cry from the surgeon saying I would have multiple loose BMs a day. This is not fun, but I am down almost 25 pounds.

I am nearly a month out now and still having issues. Not the spooning it out severity it’s started as, but still painful every day. I take stool softeners every night and they seem to help some, but this is a far cry from the surgeon saying I would have multiple loose BMs a day. This is not fun, but I am down almost 25 pounds.

Well... maybe it's time to abandon theory for practice

The one time I had this problem was post surgery... laxatives and stool softeners did nothing. The medicated enema provided relief within an hour

Might help in your case,

HTH

that's not OK. I don't know what they need to do for you but something.
how long since you complained about it?
It has been about 2 weeks since they said to up my fat intake. I did that and it didn’t help at all so I started taking stool softeners and it is a lot better but still not good. Hard dry plug and then soft behind it.

It has been about 2 weeks since they said to up my fat intake. I did that and it didn’t help at all so I started taking stool softeners and it is a lot better but still not good. Hard dry plug and then soft behind it.
I’ve been through this! I eat lots of fat and still have to take stool softeners daily. I take 4 or 5 along with a couple magnesium oxides, and you don’t have to drink a lot of water during day since the softeners work by using your liquids you drink. Hope you can get it worked out!
Susan

I'm glad it got better but not sure what you should do next. I have no personal experience with stool softeners.

I’ve been through this! I eat lots of fat and still have to take stool softeners daily. I take 4 or 5 along with a couple magnesium oxides, and you don’t have to drink a lot of water during day since the softeners work by using your liquids you drink. Hope you can get it worked out!
Susan
Good Grief! Thought I proofread…nope! It says you “don’t “ have to drink lots of water but I MEANT to type you DO need to drink lots of water. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Just going to tell you about things that have worked for other people and bonus for right now, they increase malabsorbtion. I have tried both in my ever present quest to lose more weight. I supposedly have more malabsorbtion than you do and I am none the worse for wear. YMMV. Start small and use carefully. Stay hydrated!

SF Gummy Bears. Start with about 5. If that doesn’t work, try 10. If you want to try this I suggest you start on a weekend where you have nothing else to do. Go to Amazon and read the comments. They are hilarious. Sometimes these are hard to find.

Alli. OTC strength of Orlistat. Start with 1 a day after your biggest meal. The cheapest place I have found for these is eBay.

Latest posts

Back