constipation. .. and what are you drinking...

Hi everyone. I thought I would ask both my questions instead of make two post. First is iam having a hard time with my.... system lol I can't go... just wondering what you all are doing to stay regular. I know it is common but I'm talking a while week could go bye with out going. Next I am wondering what you guys drink besides water I know I know it's the priority but you can't just drink water and that's it... although I have since my surgery almost 7 weeks ago. So I'm wanting to start adding other liquids in... any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your responses.

To make you go...more fluid and add some fat. As a VSG'er you don't need the huge amounts that a DS'er does but even normies are not eating enough fat most times. Dietary guidelines suggest that healthy adults generally limit dietary fat to no more than 20 to 35 percent of total daily calories.

Take total calories and multiply by 30 percent.
____ calories per day x .30 = ____ calories from fat per day.
Take calories from fat per day and divide by 9 (there are 9 calories per gram of fat):
___ calories from fat per day divided by 9 =____ fat grams per day

So if you are eating 1000 calories per day, 30% is 300 calories from fat, since fat is 9 calories per gram, that means no less than 33 grams a day.

It's not fat that makes a person fat....it's the combination of fat AND CARBS that makes a person fat.

Also, I'm moving this to the VSG forum. :)

Ok :) thank you so much!! Can I ask maybe what food you would suggest. Is there a protein I could eat that is high in fat im still only eating maybe two ounces of food a day so its hard to get anything else in when I'm focusing on protein if you could maybe give me an example I would very much appreciate it.

Ok thanks and yeah eggs have been a staple in my diet I eat them almost every day lol but I will try the other things as well thank you for your help.

If I hadn't gone in a week, I'd sit myself down with a stick of butter and start eating. There are fat bomb recipes, you can add butter to morning coffee. Fat, fat, fat and hydration make ya go. You are early out, I remember not going for a while then. It was miserable. If fat and liquids don't work, I'd talk with your doc.

Yeah, I think I'd do a stool softener now and then worry about maintaining regularity with fat and fiber after you get things moving.
As far as drinking, try the flavored water drops, there are soooooo many. It's too soon for carbonation, but eventually you'll be able to drink flavored shelters, which I love. Try different kinds of herbal tea, either hot or cold, there are a ton of those out there as well. Also, you can try different fruit and herb infusions on your water if you don't want to add chemicals but plain is too boring http://www.buzzfeed.com/melissaharrison/fruit-infused-waters#.eorKeKyBk I wouldn't do the ones with the fruit blended in unless you only drink a little of that per day, it would add too much sugar.

Thank you so much. And I have tried stool softener but I will try the fat things hopfully it resolves it's self I have an apt w my surgeon on the 22 so I will bring it up w him also. Thank you for the link :)

at the stage you are at I had to add fiber, just can't get in enough with out it. now darned if I can remember the stuff...benefiber? metamucil?

none of those sound familiar. I know you add it to water (or whatever you are drinking) and you can't feel the fiber, it doesn't just not have a taste it doesn't have any ...feel. which is good.

there are pills you can take but I really prefer the stuff you add to water - because it would be easy not to get enough fluid and you NEED the fluid to make it work.

ETA: I think I took benefiber

Are you on calcium yet? That will constipate you. If increasing your fat intake and more fluids doesn't work, you can try Magnesium OXIDE capsules, one at a time until you find how many you need.

If you are already taking calcium, stopping for a few days won't kill you, until you "go". Then, if it IS the calcium, you'll know when you add it back in.

@Sheanie that is funny you asked because I have been stressing on that lately. No I haven't started yet for that reason I know it can cause that but I am worried last year I broke my leg in three places so calcium is definitely on my mind! I never want to go threw that again I was in a care center for over a month. @JackieOnLine I think that's a really good idea when I broke my leg they made me take meralax or something like that every day cuz I couldn't move around and the pain meds so maybe I will go buy that stuff u mix it w water also.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I have gastroparesis, IBS, & reflux, & take prescription meds.

I eat a fair amount of veggies and dark greens and do a lot of water, PowerAde Zero, and flavored waters. Coffee that has skim milk (2 ounces then less the rest of the time, in 16 ounces coffee) is something I can handle.

What about veggies that have a laxative type effect? There is protein in them, you can count that to your daily list.

A glass of milk works wonders for me, if dosed at the proper time (around midnight, to get results by 7 AM). But everyone is different - if your guts work differently, an unpleasant 4 AM surprise might happen.

@swimbikerun what vegetables would you suggest. I have resorted to fleet enamas its the only way I go. My surgeon said to try benefiber I have and Iv also tried some other things like that he said maybe a probiotic but be careful because there are a lot of them out there that don't even have probiotics in

Latest posts

Back