Confused what I should do!? DS or Loop

Gigindallas

Hello, I am a sleever, 2 years out, lost about 70 pounds then regained 40. My type 2 diabetes are worst than ever, insulin dependent. I first wanted to do Loop DS/SADI but I want to make sure whatever surgery I do it will have the greatest positive effect on my diabetes. So please leave me advice and opinions! Also, has anyone used Dr Alibhai or Matin for there DS or Loop? Thank Y’all!!

Hello and welcome Gigindallas! I think most on this board would advise the DS especially because (1) you already had one inadequate surgery that failed you, (2) DS is best hope for resolution of diabetes, and (3) the jury is still out for SADI/SIPS long term results. DS was one of the best decisions I ever made. Best wishes no matter what choice you make!

Last edited:
The DS has been a standard of care bariatric surgery for years now. SADI is still not considered standard of care, and long term statistics are not available yet. The DS also has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for permanent resolution of type 2 diabetes, as well as for all other comorbidities except gERD, where gastric bypass has the best statistics - though I would still only recommend gastric bypass for GERD for someone with really severe GERD.
As hilary1617 already pointed out, you've already had one inadequate surgery. In your shoes I would go for the surgery with the best possible results, and that's the DS. Since you're in TX, I would recommend Dr. Ayoola. I've never heard of the 2 surgeons you named.

Is there data on regain yet? I'm so happy I listened to people here and got the true DS. :)
A small study came out recently that indicated they lose all or almost all of their fat malabsorbtion really quickly!!! It is posted here, probably under SADI.

He
The DS has been a standard of care bariatric surgery for years now. SADI is still not considered standard of care, and long term statistics are not available yet. The DS also has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for permanent resolution of type 2 diabetes, as well as for all other comorbidities except gERD, where gastric bypass has the best statistics - though I would still only recommend gastric bypass for GERD for someone with really severe GERD.
As hilary1617 already pointed out, you've already had one inadequate surgery. In your shoes I would go for the surgery with the best possible results, and that's the DS. Since you're in TX, I would recommend Dr. Ayoola. I've never heard of the 2 surgeons you named.
llo, Dr. Ayoola did my sleeve, now he is not accepting my insurances so I would have to pay like $1000, which I don’t have... with the other surgeon I pay $0 out of pocket.

I get it about the money, but keep in mind that the guys who do accept your secondary are not doing a standard of care DS. They are offering you a non-standard of care operation that your insurance probably doesn't cover - assuming they aren't coding it as a true DS to get it covered, a tactic we've seen before, which is not really kosher and which may come back to bite them (and possibly you). There is a lot of sketchy stuff that goes on in the world of bariatric surgery. I don't know what these particular surgeons are or aren't doing, but it's something you need to know.

Hello, I decided to go with the DS, I just don’t like thee “unknown” long term with sips, and I want the surgery with the best odds of resolving my diabetes. I think I am going with Dr Alibhai and Matin, maybe they don’t have as many DS surgeries under their belt, but at one point Dr Ayoola was in the same spot.

If you do decide to go with them, make very, very sure they are doing a real DS with 2 anastomoses and not doing SIPS and calling it "the DS", or "just like the DS", or "improved version of the DS", etc. You wouldn't believe the stuff we've seen.
Also, I realize TX is a big state and I don't know my TX geography very well, but there might ( emphasize that word) be a couple surgeons in the Amarillo area doing the DS. There was a show on TLC recently about a 685 lb teenage boy who had the DS with them. Again, I don't know if their DS is the real McCoy, but there website (at least, I think it's their website, I couldn't recall their names but I think I found them) shows a diagram of the real, 2 anastomosis DS, which is a good sign. Though again, we've seen a surgeon who had such a diagram on his website and was doing SIPS and calling it a DS, just "borrowed" someone else's diagram. If you want a link to their website, let me know.

HEllo, thanks for all your help! So, do you think it’s stupid to go with these other 2 doctors that are close to me. Dr matin has been in practice 18 years and is chief of surgery at Baylor grapevine, so I am sure he’s a great surgeon. He is known for his sleeve surgery. I just wish I could find one person that’s actually done the DS with them.

OK, i know this might sound crazy, but it's not. If you are self pay, have you thought about Mexico? Works well. Many of us went to Dr. Esquerra who is very well vetted here.

Latest posts

Back