Concerns about Dr K's record

Carmela2017

I looked up his license info because I was convinced he was the Dr for me and now I'm very nervous after reading this :
  • California
    2017-07-11
    PROBATION TERMINATED
    No document available; refer to board site
    2014-06-11
    MEDICAL LICENSE PLACED ON PROBATION
  • Hawaii
    2016-12-08
    REVOCATION OF MEDICAL LICENSE
  • Michigan
    2015-04-17
    REPRIMANDED
  • Nevada
    2015-09-11
    REPRIMANDED

You can ask him, but...from what I understand...and I’ve not discussed this with him...

while he was relocating from Central CA to Southern CA, and literally driving up and down the state moving his family...a patient in Central CA developed complications, the severity of which was not fully communicated to him. The patient worsened and died. His failure to provide the care the patient needed...even though he was not totally aware of the level of care needed...was determined to be malpractice. I think.

I’m pretty sure the Nevada and Michigan actions simply reprimanded him for what happened in CA. I have no idea what caused the Hawaii thing, but I have a vague recollection it was a “you didn’t turn in your paperwork” kind of thing. If anything serious had occurred in Hawaii, there would have been reciprocal actions by the other licensing states...I think.

BUT, the thing is that so many Keshishian patients repeatedly report that he is thorough, caring and really attends to his patients...almost forever. For example, my DS was almost 14 years ago, I see him about once a year or once every two years. And yet, if I email him with a question tonight, I will hear from him within a few hours.

He isn’t perfect, but damn! He’s close.

Last edited:
Omg girl I would be worried if he is not available. He has saved my life over and over again. Even when I was in an AZ hospital he ran and managed my care. He only sees his patients in the hospital day and night..1 time I got there a 2 am and he came in.. Dr K is the most competent. caring. And knowledgeable dr I know. I have been really sick into death and he has gotten me well and back up and running. I'd take him and his knowledge with no license over ANY LICENSED DR. Plus as long as he's been in business at thats it on his record.

I understand your concern but honestly you have no reason to be concerned.

Omg girl I would be worried if he is not available. He has saved my life over and over again. Even when I was in an AZ hospital he ran and managed my care. He only sees his patients in the hospital day and night..1 time I got there a 2 am and he came in.. Dr K is the most competent. caring. And knowledgeable dr I know. I have been really sick into death and he has gotten me well and back up and running. I'd take him and his knowledge with no license over ANY LICENSED DR. Plus as long as he's been in business at thats it on his record.

LOL...”day and night” is right. One of my last emails to him, a non-urgent thing, was in the afternoon. The time stamp on his response is 3:45 am. Maybe he considers that his “spare time.”

You can ask him, but...from what I understand...and I’ve not discussed this with him...

while he was relocating from Central CA to Southern CA, and literally driving up and down the state moving his family...a patient in Central CA developed complications, the severity of which was not fully communicated to him. The patient worsened and died. His failure to provide the care the patient needed...even though he was not totally aware of the level of care needed...was determined to be malpractice. I think.

I’m pretty sure the Nevada and Michigan actions simply reprimanded him for what happened in CA. I have no idea what caused the Hawaii thing, but I have a vague recollection it was a “you didn’t turn in your paperwork” kind of thing. If anything serious had occurred in Hawaii, there would have been reciprocal actions by the other licensing states...I think.

BUT, the thing is that so many Keshishian patients repeatedly report that he is thorough, caring and really attends to his patients...almost forever. For example, my DS was almost 14 years ago, I see him about once a year or once every two years. And yet, if I email him with a question tonight, I will hear from him within a few hours.

You are exactly right about what happened to that patient who died. I've read the documents related to the complaint. You can understand my concern, I was shocked to find anything on his record because of his pristine reputation. But, I am putting my life in this man's hands, so I was taken aback by this.

Thank you Charris, I appreciate your response. I have my Skype consult with him tonight.

Also, here is what is says about Hawaii - his license was revoked there, pretty serious.

LICENSE STATUS NOT VALID UNABLE TO PRACTICE
License ID:MD-16941Active/Inactive:--Status REVOKEDExpire Date:1/31/2018
Legal License Name: ARA KESHISHIANTrade/Professional Name:--Entity:INDIVIDUALOriginal License Date:2/14/2013
Class Prefix:--Special Privilege:--Restriction:--Education Code:--
Business Code--Conditions & Limitations:--Business Address:

Also, here is what is says about Hawaii - his license was revoked there, pretty serious.

LICENSE STATUS NOT VALID UNABLE TO PRACTICE
License ID:MD-16941Active/Inactive:--Status REVOKEDExpire Date:1/31/2018
Legal License Name: ARA KESHISHIANTrade/Professional Name:--Entity:INDIVIDUALOriginal License Date:2/14/2013
Class Prefix:--Special Privilege:--Restriction:--Education Code:--
Business Code--Conditions & Limitations:--Business Address:

I’m probably missing something here, but this is what I think I’m reading...

•He was held responsible for the CA patient’s not getting the needed treatment.
•As a matter of routine, Michigan and Nevada followed CA’s lead.
•Hawaii got its panties in a bunch because he apparently did not report the Michigan and Nevada actions, or maybe even the CA action, I can’t tell.

My understanding is that one failure to perform medically as he should have resulted in ALL FOUR states’ responses...one saying, “You are suspended and need to take corrective action,” two saying “Well, until you fix it with CA, you can’t work here, either,” and the fourth saying, “You didn’t tell us about some or all of these, so you can’t work here either.”

But I respect him and his work, so my analysis might not be unbiased.

Or - he no longer practices in Hawaii and he didn’t feel the need to go to the time and expense of applying for reinstatement.

I assume that all of the suspensions were related to the CA issue. I’m licensed in CA, VA and with the USPTO - if I get in trouble with one, I believe I need to report to all, but to be honest, I’m not sure at what point in the accusation/investigation/determination continuum.

The last time I checked, Husted STILL hasn’t self-reported his convictions in KY.

Carmela2017 where do you live? My suggestion is that you not select your surgeon until you have 2-3 consults. Dr. K. is not a God. Nor, are any of the other surgeons on the recommended list. I believe he is the most experienced though. I had significant complications with my RNY to DS and Dr. K. was very involved with my follow-up. Very involved. Like texting, calling, etc. every day, then once per week, then once per month, etc. for at least a year. I do not know how this man even has a family life. However, he is not a God, and he has a very busy practice. He will do what he can to take care of you but you also have a responsibility to do your part.

The RNY to DS conversion is very complicated and not many surgeons can perform this surgery. It is entirely possible that you could have complications and need to stay in the hospital or go back to the hospital for days, weeks, or a month or more. Do not gloss over this fact. Factor into your decision your follow-up care. Are you able to get to CA or fly/drive wherever for follow-up or complications? How competent is your own PCP in following you if you have complications? It is time to find a better PCP? How are your own communication skills? Are you assertive to tell someone what is wrong and will you go to the ER in your city if needed?

Possible questions to ask any surgeon you are considering:

-What is the rate of complications you have had with RNY to DS?
-What was the nature of the complications?
-How are the complications handled?
-What if I have problems post-op?
-What do I need to do post-op/follow-up given that I will be traveling for surgery?

I consulted with Dr. Greenbaum and liked him very much (you do not hear much about him these days-?). One reason I liked him was that he was upfront about the chance of having a leak but said something like, "We will just take you back into the operating and we will fix the leak and give you antibiotics. I won't let you die. There is too much paperwork involved in that." I always knew the surgeon I selected would not let me die due to the amount of paperwork, lol. I was also aware that a leak and infection were real possibilities.

Last edited:
The “list” of reliable RnY-to-DS surgeons will be very short.

And this:
“Are you assertive to tell someone what is wrong and will you go to the ER in your city if needed?”

Might include a warning that most Emergency Dept personnel will try to convince you that you had RnY. You can buy...or screenshot...a poster created by the ASMBS folks and available for purchase (or download a free pdf) on their website, that instructs Emergency Physicians on how different symptoms should be interpreted based on which bariatric surgery a patient had. (Copy it now, because it’s ten years old and could disappear at any time.). I carry a copy.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/publicASMBS/ASMBS_Store/ASMBS_ER_Poster9-20-10.pdf

Or - he no longer practices in Hawaii and he didn’t feel the need to go to the time and expense of applying for reinstatement.

I assume that all of the suspensions were related to the CA issue. I’m licensed in CA, VA and with the USPTO - if I get in trouble with one, I believe I need to report to all, but to be honest, I’m not sure at what point in the accusation/investigation/determination continuum.

The last time I checked, Husted STILL hasn’t self-reported his convictions in KY.
This.

(Also, in some career tracks, renewing a license/certificate starts a ticking clock requiring Continuing Ed classes, etc. So, if someone has the Continuing Ed credits to renew, and DOES renew, a 5-yr clock starts, during which time the person needs to rack up additional classes for the next renewal. INCREDIBLY, if the licensee DOES NOT renew, those Continuing Ed credits sit there and allow the person to renew later...next year, next decade…whatever.)

The “list” of reliable RnY-to-DS surgeons will be very short.

And this:
“Are you assertive to tell someone what is wrong and will you go to the ER in your city if needed?”

Might include a warning that most Emergency Dept personnel will try to convince you that you had RnY. You can buy...or screenshot...a poster created by the ASMBS folks and available for purchase (or download a free pdf) on their website, that instructs Emergency Physicians on how different symptoms should be interpreted based on which bariatric surgery a patient had. (Copy it now, because it’s ten years old and could disappear at any time.). I carry a copy.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/publicASMBS/ASMBS_Store/ASMBS_ER_Poster9-20-10.pdf
Thanks for the sheet! I just printed it and saved it!

There’s nothing on this chart specific to the DS, not even the admonition that DSers can still poop and fart with a blockage in the BP limb.

Latest posts

Back