Coming up on 3 months since VSG to DS revision with Dr. Esquerra

Whocansay1

Hello,

Just an update:

I was revised to DS on 24Jun2016. When I had my VSG in Jun2013, I was 281lbs. I got down to about 174 and then gained back to about 226-218. I was 215 after my pre-op diet for the DS. As of today, I am 184 lbs. I was/am still concerned if I will have malnutrition issues at some point as my CC-75 AL-205 and BPL-405cm, total bowel is 700cm; are not 50/50 and I was left with more non-absorbing intestine, than absorbing. I'm just riding it out and see where I end up, and praying still healthy.

Thanks.

Popping in to be supportive. First congrats on the weight loss. Tons of people have a CC that is 75 cm. Just keep an eye on it and get tested regularly. Do yo have a good PCP? I think people here can help you find one.

Popping in to be supportive. First congrats on the weight loss. Tons of people have a CC that is 75 cm. Just keep an eye on it and get tested regularly. Do yo have a good PCP? I think people here can help you find one.
Thanks Galaxy! My concern isn't so much with the 75cc, but that I was given 60%nonabsorbing to 40% absorbing tract. Hopefully it will be ok.

Thanks Galaxy! My concern isn't so much with the 75cc, but that I was given 60%nonabsorbing to 40% absorbing tract. Hopefully it will be ok.
I think we discussed this before but I am not 100% sure, since you were a sleeve to DS revision sometimes weight loss isn't as fast or as much as with a virgin DS. This may very well work in your favor so try not to let it bother you because worrying will just stress you and won't change the outcome.

Hoping for the best for you and you are doing well so far.

I think we discussed this before but I am not 100% sure, since you were a sleeve to DS revision sometimes weight loss isn't as fast or as much as with a virgin DS. This may very well work in your favor so try not to let it bother you because worrying will just stress you and won't change the outcome.

Hoping for the best for you and you are doing well so far.
Hi Scott,
Yes you did explain that to me, but I'm a worrier by nature I guess. I have not omitted carbs from my diet in any form, just making sure all meals are protein laden, but the weight is still dropping, so that has me slightly concerned. Although, now that I'm thinking, I recall you also saying that maybe the DS creates a new set point, so maybe I will get to that point and be fine.

Hi Scott,
Yes you did explain that to me, but I'm a worrier by nature I guess. I have not omitted carbs from my diet in any form, just making sure all meals are protein laden, but the weight is still dropping, so that has me slightly concerned. Although, now that I'm thinking, I recall you also saying that maybe the DS creates a new set point, so maybe I will get to that point and be fine.
Remember hon why you had this surgery. You want to lose weight and 30 pounds in the first three months is not close to excessive. It is actually a pretty hearly pace early on.

Regarding carbs I am by no means a carb extremist but you do want to be mindful early on keep the protein focus like you say. Some believe in less than 50 carbs during weight loss phase. I think up to 100 in wright loss can be acceptable if getting in your protein.

The key thing you need to watch is your labs and you don't want to try and slow weight loss unless you see your albumin and total protein dropping below range. At 3 months you should be getting your first labs. Have you done that yet?

Remember hon why you had this surgery. You want to lose weight and 30 pounds in the first three months is not close to excessive. It is actually a pretty hearly pace early on.

Regarding carbs I am by no means a carb extremist but you do want to be mindful early on keep the protein focus like you say. Some believe in less than 50 carbs during weight loss phase. I think up to 100 in wright loss can be acceptable if getting in your protein.

The key thing you need to watch is your labs and you don't want to try and slow weight loss unless you see your albumin and total protein dropping below range. At 3 months you should be getting your first labs. Have you done that yet?
I think I do okay with my carbs, I know they are over 50, probably over 100 but I am active most days as well with exercise. I haven't had my labs done yet, but will soon, trying to tie it into my yearly physical as my PCP still doesn't know about my DS surgery. Hoping she doesn't give me an issue with labs.

Hello,

Just an update:

I was revised to DS on 24Jun2016. When I had my VSG in Jun2013, I was 281lbs. I got down to about 174 and then gained back to about 226-218. I was 215 after my pre-op diet for the DS. As of today, I am 184 lbs. I was/am still concerned if I will have malnutrition issues at some point as my CC-75 AL-205 and BPL-405cm, total bowel is 700cm; are not 50/50 and I was left with more non-absorbing intestine, than absorbing. I'm just riding it out and see where I end up, and praying still healthy.

Thanks.

Hello there:)

I've been thinking about you and hoped that you were doing well. You and I both were light weights. Except for some vocal issues, I feel awesome. I haven't had my labs checked either. I have an appointment in October or November with my primary physician and my gynecologist. My primary physician said that he would keep watch on my labs but I may ask my gynecologist. She had the gastric bypass a few years ago so she may be a little more knowledgeable about weight loss surgery and vitamin deficiency. I completely understand your concern about your absorbing issue. Other than that how do you feel?

Hello there:)

I've been thinking about you and hoped that you were doing well. You and I both were light weights. Except for some vocal issues, I feel awesome. I haven't had my labs checked either. I have an appointment in October or November with my primary physician and my gynecologist. My primary physician said that he would keep watch on my labs but I may ask my gynecologist. She had the gastric bypass a few years ago so she may be a little more knowledgeable about weight loss surgery and vitamin deficiency. I completely understand your concern about your absorbing issue. Other than that how do you feel?
Hey lady! I don't know why I'm not getting notifications for posts I'm doing well! Actually about 5 pounds from normal BMI, but it is SLOW lol. I'm okay with that now since I'm thankful to finally be creeping back into he 170s. I'm very grateful. I'm eating like normal which isn't good as I'm very into carbs but right now, it's not seeming to matter or maybe it's why I'm losing slowly but that's ok. Haven't had any real bathroom concerns although I had some oil accidents that I was so happy happened at home . How are you!

It's good to hear from you and it sounds like you're doing really well. I'm doing good so far. I'm right behind you weighing in at around 180 I think. I don't weigh myself unless I go to the doctor and the last time I was there I was 183. I can tell that I've lost a little more though. Carbs are difficult for me but I'm trying my hardest to stay away from them as much as I can. I have a hard time tracking my food because I eat weird stuff and I'm a picky eater. Sometimes I'm hungry every two hours and other times I can go almost all day and not be hungry. Some of it is that I have a very stressful job. They fired the other two engineers and a supervisor so everything it falling on me. They have no intentions of replacing them either SMDH!!! Initially, I had bathroom issues during the first two months but they've since tapered off. I still keep Imodium in my desk at work, and in my purse Lol.

It's good to hear from you and it sounds like you're doing really well. I'm doing good so far. I'm right behind you weighing in at around 180 I think. I don't weigh myself unless I go to the doctor and the last time I was there I was 183. I can tell that I've lost a little more though. Carbs are difficult for me but I'm trying my hardest to stay away from them as much as I can. I have a hard time tracking my food because I eat weird stuff and I'm a picky eater. Sometimes I'm hungry every two hours and other times I can go almost all day and not be hungry. Some of it is that I have a very stressful job. They fired the other two engineers and a supervisor so everything it falling on me. They have no intentions of replacing them either SMDH!!! Initially, I had bathroom issues during the first two months but they've since tapered off. I still keep Imodium in my desk at work, and in my purse Lol.
Glad you are doing well! We are both in the same start and losing range lol. It's good that you are being mindful of the carbs. I know when it's time for me to reel them in it will be that much more difficult. I am the same as far as sometimes hungry all the time and other times not as much, seems like when I am hungriest and eating the most I see better loss. Sorry to hear about your work situation k I know that is not easy! I haven't used Imodium but I certainly have used the poopouri haha

Latest posts

Back