1. Bookmarks current system will be replaced when we upgrade. Please open your bookmarks and copy to a text document to save them. The current system will be uninstalled 31 Dec 2018

Chronic Venous Insufficiency?

Discussion in 'Non-Surgery Medical' started by conceit, Nov 29, 2018.

conceit

conceit Baroness

Hi everybody,

I've started noticing brown discolouration on my lower legs, around the ankles especially. The discoloured skin on my right leg is darker and itchier than the left. Silly as it sounds, I hadn't had my legs waxed so I didn't realize the discolouration was bad. When my anemia was severe, my skin would itch a lot (has gone down since transfusion). I ended up scratching up my arms and legs. After waxing, I noticed there were brown patches on my lower legs and lighter brown patches elsewhere on the legs. They look like red or brown streaks in places, but I am pretty sure they are not stretch marks. Stretch marks don't develop in the lower legs and ankle area, and my legs haven't shrunk at all anyway.

There's no swelling thankfully, but my legs hurt when I walk and feel heavy. It turns out the symptoms are a lot like statis dermatitis from CVI. The walk in clinic doctor gave me a steroid cream to reduce itching and inflammation, but he didn't really touch what may have caused the dermatitis. My best bet would be to get an ultrasound to examine blood flow in the legs. Obesity and diabetes are risk factors, and I hadn't been very active the past month or so when I was sick..so maybe that didn't help.

If anyone has had statis dermatitis from vascular issues (assuming for the sake of argument this is what I am dealing with) or CVI, did it improve post DS or other WLS you may have had?

Thanks

Munchkin

Munchkin Full of Fairy Dust

PCOS can also cause skin discoloration. Typically around the neck, upper chest and groin area. But it can happen anywhere. Just another possibility.

conceit likes this.
    conceit

conceit Baroness

Yup I have that skin darkening on my inner thighs, from insulin resistance. It doesn't cause itching. This is different, looks different too.