Choosing Sleeve

I can only speak from my experience with the sleeve. I was already a revision, so I expected my weight loss to be slow, but I lost 70 pounds and just over 300 pounds at the time of surgery. Then I stopped losing. Maintained for a little while. Then I have gradually gained it all back over the past 4 years. And the first 2 of those years I was fighting with everything I had to lose weight. I am now deciding on a DS revision.

There were things that I did to mess up my weight loss with the sleeve, that's why I have been in therapy the past two years to deal with my issues with food. I wouldn't consider having another procedure without getting that worked on, but I think even if I had done all the right things it wouldn't have been enough.

If a person is committed to their decision they can go a long way, just consider how far you want to go. From my own personal experience, it is difficult to do without malabsorption.

Best of luck with your decision!!!

Kevin, I had not planned on posting on this thread again, having said my peace, but I'm back for 2 reasons:

first, it has become clear from your responses that you do know how much better the DS would be in your situation than the VSG, but you are opting for VSG anyway for speed and logistic reasons. These are not good reasons IMHO. When you are drowning and someone tosses you a rope, you don't ask whether or not that rope is going to hold, you grab onto it and hope for the best. Desperate people make desperate decisions, not always good decisions. That is where your mind is at this point. I won't belabor the differences between the operations and their different results because you already know this stuff. You are just making a decision out of desperation. Many of us can relate. We have all been in that dark place at one time or another. I can only advise you to step back, get out of that dark place, and figure out a way to get the operation you really need.

Second, I was appalled at your response to @robs477 . I've had the pleasure of meeting him and his lovely family, and also have read so many of his posts here. He has shown nothing but kindness and compassion to so many others. His surgery is long over but, unlike lots of other people, he hasn't disappeared, but instead has stayed here to help and support other people who are coming along now. You owe him an apology.
I do owe @robs477 an apology for my comment. I should not have called him selfish not knowing him. At the same time I'll make it clear that saying that I'm wanting to be spoon fed is so far from the truth and of zero help to the situation. I do apologize for my comment though @robs477.

It's the travel??? Really? I went to Spain with my H and sister. Spain. There are quite a few people around here who went to other countries for surgery. Talk to the docs. Most have something in place for their patients from out of town. A hotel that gives discounts, etc. You are probably looking at 10 nights in a hotel. I think it was @DianaCox who said you do have insurance and I bet they will pay at least part of the expenses. You need to read your actual policy up close and personal.

I get it that you want it now. Quick and dirty, no hoops. Cash out your 401K and fly to MX. You can probably get it done next week. Cost? Around 16K. What's it worth? Priceless. I think one of our members is in MX right now and you can probably talk to them about their experience.

Kevin - many of us are quite a bit older than you (my youngest child just had his 30th birthday) and spent most of our lives morbidly obese. It took many of us a LONG time to get our DS - indeed, to even HAVE a safe and effective bariatric surgery available to us. We have learned many painful lessons along the way, and we stick around trying to give guidance to newbies such as you. It is very frustrating to see someone so young about to make what appears to be a terrible mistake, when you don't HAVE to. Many of us had our comorbidities for YEARS - you should not delay unnecessarily, but you are just 29 and you would be better off waiting a couple of months and doing it ONCE and doing it RIGHT, than to try a shortcut that is going to suck in the long run. You young'uns and your need for instant gratification ...

Hey @kevin86. I know this is an emotional decision, it certainly was for me. When you get to a point in your life where you are finally ready to go under the knife for your obesity, that clock on your life starts ticking loudly, and the LAST thing you want to do is step back and wait. But the truth is, while the loss % is respectable for the VSG, the maintained loss rates are not very good. I am good friends with a few psychologists who do screenings for WLS, and they have collectively interviewed thousands of patients before and after surgery. When I told them I was planning on getting WLS, they were immediately concerned and started telling me how many patients they see with very significant regain (they were estimating 85+% of their VSG patients). When I told them I was getting a DS, you could literally see the relief sweep across their faces. Now I know that is only anecdotal, but for me as a pre-op it was a pretty powerful anecdote.

My two cents would be to focus on the thing that is really overwhelming you right now, and break it down into doable pieces. If that thing is the extra effort, time and funds required to get the DS - then start there. Get some real costs in your head, check on financing options, and check into @DianaCox's advice about insurance coverage. 15 hours to the right surgeon is entirely worthwhile, and this is one of those times in life when it is worth taking your time and doing it right.

I hope you understand that these vets care so much about seeing people in your specific situation get the right surgery that they didn't just give you a pat on the back and an attaboy. What we all want for you is for you to be looking at your pre-op prep time happily in your rearview, but with a bright future ahead and a healthy, easy-to-live-with lifestyle to accompany it. Good luck with your decision.

To me every time I think about just getting a sleeve I feel like you have to be willing to stick to some type of diet for life. We all know that it is possible to out eat any surgery. But in my mind the sleeve would be easiest. I don't know how true my thinking is but it just that way

Well if it makes any of you feel better I don't have a consult for anything until the end of January so I have time to continue researching. I do apologize if I offended anyone. That was not my intent. @Elizabeth N. If you feel the need to block me then I guess ultimately that's your choice. I know whether or not my apology is genuine. I'm human and I speak with emotion. It's something I've done my entire life and have continued to work in dealing with. Thank you everyone for your comments and again I apologize to anyone I may have offended.

Kevin,
Apology accepted, and I apologize if I offended you in any way as that is NOT my style or my intent. I am a man of emotion and intense compassion in everything I do and it sounds like you are too and sometimes emotions rule over being practical. For some of us Men too, we have emotions, it’s not just Women and your post after mine really touched me, especially when you was talking about your being upset and crying.

So….lets please start over? All I have to add is this my friend, and IT’S A BIG ONE!...Your YOUTH. I am was almost TWICE your age when I had my DS. IMHO….time is the one thing you seem to be worried about the most, i.e waiting the extra 6 months or so to get the DS, and right now, time (your youth) is your absolute best ally that you have in your corner. You will not die waiting the extra few months. I know you want to get started in forging your new life and I know you’re tired of living in a body you didn’t deserve, BUT….just take a few deep breaths, think, listen, read, research and learn until you cant hardly take it anymore, and THEN make the decision that’s best for you. As I said originally, I really do absolutely wish you the best and support whatever YOU decide!

Rob

Not sure if this is helpful, but my decision to get the DS ultimately came from seeing so many people on another weight loss surgery message board post about how they either:
1- Lost a lot of weight and are now regaining; some back to their pre-surgery weight or higher.
2- Got a sleeve or gastric bypass and haven't lost weight

A new person every day. I had already made a poor decision in 2011 to get a lap-band and regretted that decision for 4 years. Going under the knife a second time, I wanted to do it the right way, with the biggest long-term success rate.

Good luck with your decision.

@Felicity kind of touched on this.

Be a skeptical critical thinker. Always consider the motivation behind the advice given. Including and especially from surgeons. They are in business to make money and they want yours. They will sell you the surgery they do. And some of them are as slick as a used car dealer. Many say they do the DS but in reality what they want to do is get you in the office so they can convince you to get a surgery THEY do. We call it bait and don't switch. It happens all the time.

^^^This is one of the reasons we exist. We don't stand to gain in any way from whatever you decide.

Do spend time on the revision boards and see why people feel they have to do this thing more than once.

Instead of being so negative maybe you guys should show me that this is not the right direction to go. All I've heard is how bad of an idea it is but not a single person has taken the time to show me that it's a bad idea. Is there evidence that it won't work for someone my size? Because all I've found is people who have had success with it. I'm not trying to be rude but I also believe that if you're not being helpful then you're being negative. Thank you for those that have been supportive. As for others I'm asking you to show me that it's a bad idea not just tell me.
Keving I showed you the numbers. That is showing what the DS WOULD do for you. If you choose to take that as negative that is your choice.

Keving I showed you the numbers. That is showing what the DS WOULD do for you. If you choose to take that as negative that is your choice.
I apologize. Some how I missed your post until I went back though just now. I really appreciate you taking the time to figure all that out.

Kevin,
Apology accepted, and I apologize if I offended you in any way as that is NOT my style or my intent. I am a man of emotion and intense compassion in everything I do and it sounds like you are too and sometimes emotions rule over being practical. For some of us Men too, we have emotions, it’s not just Women and your post after mine really touched me, especially when you was talking about your being upset and crying.

So….lets please start over? All I have to add is this my friend, and IT’S A BIG ONE!...Your YOUTH. I am was almost TWICE your age when I had my DS. IMHO….time is the one thing you seem to be worried about the most, i.e waiting the extra 6 months or so to get the DS, and right now, time (your youth) is your absolute best ally that you have in your corner. You will not die waiting the extra few months. I know you want to get started in forging your new life and I know you’re tired of living in a body you didn’t deserve, BUT….just take a few deep breaths, think, listen, read, research and learn until you cant hardly take it anymore, and THEN make the decision that’s best for you. As I said originally, I really do absolutely wish you the best and support whatever YOU decide!

Rob
Thank you. I will be using this next three months to do as much research as possible. I don't want to make the wrong decision even if I'm trying to do things quickly. As the saying goes measure twice and cut once.

I apologize. Some how I missed your post until I went back though just now. I really appreciate you taking the time to figure all that out.
No problem. We just want to make sure you are fully thinking this through. As far as traveling for the DS i did it for my revision and it was no big deal. If you book in advance you can save a lot of money.

Latest posts

Back