Choosing Sleeve

kevin86

After much deliberation I have decided that it's likely best for me to get the Sleeve. For those I've talked to before know I was looking into the DS. I just don't think that it's feasible at this time. I believe that the sleeve is my best bet at the moment. It would allow me to start getting the weight off very soon. For those that don't know me I'm 29 years old 6'0 530lbs 71BMI.

Keven, you are of course free to get whatever operation you feel is in your best interests, but I don't really understand the reasoning presented in your post. Either the sleeve or the DS would allow you to start losing weight right away, as the sleeve is part of the DS. It is unlikely, given your present bmi, that the sleeve would be anywhere near adequate for the amount of weight loss you need, and you would lose the opportunity to have the synergy of the restriction of the sleeve and the malabsorption/metabolic changes of the switch working for you simultaneously. You would also almost certainly be committing yourself to a second bariatric operation.
It's your choice and I wish you the best with whatever decision you make, I just don't understand your decision.

Keven, you are of course free to get whatever operation you feel is in your best interests, but I don't really understand the reasoning presented in your post. Either the sleeve or the DS would allow you to start losing weight right away, as the sleeve is part of the DS. It is unlikely, given your present bmi, that the sleeve would be anywhere near adequate for the amount of weight loss you need, and you would lose the opportunity to have the synergy of the restriction of the sleeve and the malabsorption/metabolic changes of the switch working for you simultaneously. You would also almost certainly be committing yourself to a second bariatric operation.
It's your choice and I wish you the best with whatever decision you make, I just don't understand your decision.
What I meant by faster is the time frame of being able to go under the knife. In order to do DS I would have to go to a surgeon 15 hours away. This in turn would require extensive travel, extensive cost and extensive time. Therefore it would require many more funds be saved up likely in the thousands. This would take many more months before I could ever start the process. Also with all due respect most surgeons including Dr. Keshishian consider sleeve to comparable. As good.......no but none the less comparable. Ultimately being able to get the Sleeve in the next few months vs having to wait a year or longer for DS sms like the better life decision for me.

I totally understand that your decision right now is financially based. I can understand that you just want to get started on your weight loss journey and if it is to do the sleeve right now, go for it. While you are losing the weight you can always save the money for the second part to the DS while losing with the sleeve. I think you can lose quite a bit with the sleeve. I do think you may want to consider saving for the 2nd part of the DS. Good Luck to you!! I am excited for your journey to Healthiness!

You need to IMMEDIATELY start saving up for and planning when and where you are going to get the switch part added, and the sooner the better - you will lose the benefit of synergy the longer you wait. And with a BMI of 71, you're going to need the synergy if you hope to EVER get and stay out of the morbidly obese BMI range.

I would bet the odds of the sleeve alone working for you long-term is between slim (so to speak) and none.

And you can "compare" hamburger to filet mignon - they both are protein, made of beef - but the SIMILARITY ends there.

I know you want to get moving quickly, Kevin but I have to say I think this is a decision that your are going to regret considerably in the future. The VSG is nothing like the DS in terms of outcome and as several have pointed out you are going to lose the synergy of the part that really works (the switch) and the chances of ever getting out of the morbidly obese category are not in your favor.

The short term sacrifice of waiting while you save for the DS is an investment in a solution that WILL WORK.

I know you want to get moving quickly, Kevin but I have to say I think this is a decision that your are going to regret considerably in the future. The VSG is nothing like the DS in terms of outcome and as several have pointed out you are going to lose the synergy of the part that really works (the switch) and the chances of ever getting out of the morbidly obese category are not in your favor.

The short term sacrifice of waiting while you save for the DS is an investment in a solution that WILL WORK.
If you don't mind me asking why does Dr. Keshishian state that the average weight loss is 66% of excess if that's not the case? Also at my weight waiting a year or more could be deadly. I think we can all agree on that.

I can't speak for Dr K but I can do the math. So let's say your goal weight is 180 pounds (pretty reasonable for a 6' tall man) and you are currently 530 pounds.

530 lbs - 180 lbs = 350 lbs
66% x 350 lbs = 231 lbs = EWL of VSG
530 - 231 = 299 lbs

Are you going to be happy and go through all of this to still be morbidly obese?

or

350 x 85% = 298 lbs

530 - 298 = 232 lbs

The numbers are what you should reasonably expect and remember to get to 66% EWL with the sleeve you will be dieting which for all of us was obviously not something we were good at for the long haul.

Regarding waiting a year, I don't know you personal health situation but I would way the risk at living at 300 pounds or higher for the rest of your life vs being your weight for another year with the chance of being in a normal to near normal range for the rest of you life.

Regarding the cost of the DS and insurance coverage, I know it sucks to have to pay out of pocket for the DS so I must ask have you exhausted all appeals and in fact confirmed that your insurance will not cover the DS? If so, I do know that the dssurgery.com site has a link to payment plan options and I assume Mexicali does as well.

Good luck and I am not trying to strong arm you. I simply don't want you to make a decision that you could regret.

I am not sure where you are getting that Dr. K thinks the VSG alone is in anyway comparable to the DS except perhaps in the very short term.

I totally understand you wanting to get started right away and I don't fault you at all for that...but like others have said, I would definitely start saving to add the intestinal portion as soon as that can be feasibly be done.

And I'm speaking as someone who had the VSG first thinking that would be enough for me. I did very well but never quite made it to goal and then a few years in started regaining. I revised to the DS last November. It's been quite the chore trying to lose. I've screwed my metabolism up so bad it's not even funny.

Best wishes!

I assume what he said is that 66% is the average lowest weight achieved. However, that's before the inevitable bounceback starts. It almost never works that well in the long run, especially for someone starting at your size.

Latest posts

Back