Cheddar Bay Biscuits like Red Lobsters (Almond Flour)

Sheanie

I've been baking with home made almond flour lately. I buzz up my own from raw, unsalted but shelled almonds in my Bullet, which is essentially a coffee bean grinder. It's best to start with almonds from the refrigerator. You don't want to use a blender or food processor, because you will end up with almond butter instead. Buzz the almonds roughly, checking often to make sure your grinder doesn't get too "hot" and make butter instead of flour. When you have it down, make a few cups of flour and store the remainder in the fridge in a Ziploc baggie.

Cheddar Bay Biscuits

1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
1 cup almond flour
3 T melted unsalted butter
1 large egg beaten
1 t coarsely ground garlic powder with parsley (Lawry's)
1/4 t salt

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix dry ingredients separate from wet, then combine. Drop onto silicone baking sheet in 6-8 rounded blobs. Bake for 20 minutes. Let set after baking until biscuits reabsorb the grease around them, then serve hot.

It's not necessary to baste these with additional melted butter, but when reheating them for leftovers, you might need to do that (if you have any leftovers).

Last edited:
I just added that you might want to start with refrigerated almonds. It helps to keep them from turning into almond butter. When I used my food processor OR blender, I ended up with almond butter really fast. Through trial and error, I found that the "bullet" or coffee bean grinder-type smaller appliance worked a lot better making nut flours. I've used it to make pecan and walnut flour as well. Peanut flour does not work, if anyone has had ANY luck making peanut flour, I'm all ears. Ditto on sesame seeds. I think they would be wonderful for a flour, due to their high protein content, but apparently the oils and fats in them make butter instead of flour.

Another note: These biscuits are very heavy. Go easy on them if you are sensitive to dense, heavy foods. Otherwise, they fill you up nicely and stay with you longer than other foods.

Latest posts

Back