Carbonated Drinks

KellyJoy74

How long after surgery until I can have a diet coke? I'm a week post op & I miss that a lot! When did you start introducing carbonated beverages?

How long after surgery until I can have a diet coke? I'm a week post op & I miss that a lot! When did you start introducing carbonated beverages?
I'd wait til your sleeve is healed (about 8 weeks minimum) before trying a soda. I know it's hard to go without but let your sleeve heal first.

Then get it at a soda fountain not a can or bottle...those still bother me even 3.5 years out.

I waited about 9 mos. and then had a clear diet beverage (think it was Diet Sprite). Nowadays, I have some Diet Coke once a week. Can't drink much at a time as I get too full, but I have no problems w/it. YMMV.

it's your body, of course, but you may want to think long and hard about it - long term it is pretty bad for you.

maybe your plan is to hold it down to one a week or something but, well, with my vices I kind of wish I'd held off longer.

I'm the last one to be telling anyone what to do since I tend to have donut crumbs on my chest...I just have no idea how much you have already thought about it. there is good evidence that "diet" pop is even worse for you than the real kind, seriously. and then there is your bones, which are already more at risk after VSG....

Well I hadn't had carbonation for 14 years until last month. I drank about an 2 ounces of Mountain Dew. It went down fine no problems. I went to sleep and woke 2 hrs later
Vomiting and stuff coming out my nose. I was so glad that happened to me because had it not I would've been drinking soda as we speak. It may not have come from the soda but my mind thinks it was. So im good for another 14 years before I need to try it again.

Love diet soda and I do drink it. I try to avoid the cola flavored ones most of the time. I have a soda stream and I use those little packets meant for bottled water. The Crush packets are the best. Hawaiian Punch, Grape Crush, Orange Crush, and Strawberry Crush. And they are SF, of course. But if I had my way I would have a Diet Coke in my hand 24/7. I got my first one in the hospital postop.

However, if I really want to lose weight I give up all the artificial sweeteners and drink plain mint tea. It makes a difference for me!

My daughter got the sleeve last October and has just reached goal. Her doctor was adamant about not drinking carbonated soda. It is his belief that it stretches the stomach and the patients that comply seem to do better. It seems it might be true as a friend of hers had the sleeve around the same time and is not losing like she should and she is drinking soda and can eat a lot more than my daughter.

I do drink some carbonated soda. It was not forbidden when I had surgery. I also can eat quite a lot now after 13 years. So, my advice is to limit your intake of carbonated beverages and baby that tummy so that you keep it as small as possible for as long as possible.

Hi KellyJoy74,

most of the advice tells you not to drink carbonated drinks. Now, if you're within 8-12 wks post op then you have to stick with the eating guidelines.....it is hard but it's worth it. However, once past the healing stage I began to experiment as things you liked before can taste different, or make you feel worse than they did before.

Personally, I couldn't keep away from diet carbonated drinks (I know they are bad) and started drinking small amounts about 6 wks post VSG. Im now 6 months post VSG and drink about 3-4 cans a day and don't have any problems at all. I've not noticed any increase in the size of my portions (ie my stomach/pouch hasn't increased in size from the gassy juice) and I've managed to loose 60lb so far which my post op dietician thinks is good progress.

I know that this goes against advice but you have to live with this VSG for the rest of your life and if drinking diet soda makes you feel bad post op or horrifies you post op then that's cool. Personally, I've had no issues with it and we all have our vices, diet sodas are mine.

I was told not to drink carbonated beverages ever again. But who can do that right?

It was about 2 and a half years after my roux-en-y gastric bypass that I drank a diet soda. Now I drink diet soda almost daily. I think a great rule of thumb is "anything in moderation" - Works for me anyway.

J.

I was told not to have them again bc it could stretch your stomach out. I haven't had but a few sips of a alcoholic beverage that had some carbonation. Just go get a snow cone for a soda fix, or Jelly belle has soda pop jelly beans.

Latest posts

Back