Can this really be?

O

Oh, wow.... I'm sorry. -11.3? I didn't even know it could get that low. And in TWO years? I've always thought 0 is standard 30 year bone old density. Then if it's -1 it means you're 10% below that, -2 means 20% below that, etc. If so, how could it be -11.3% Maybe I don't understand...

I do hope everything works out for you. I'm sure this is pretty disheartening...and scary.

I was reading up and realized I had read before that menopause often induces bone loss then realized I had early onset menopause at age 44. At the time I was thrilled to have no more periods. Oh, well. I can't change that and will just work with what I have. I realize this won't apply to men like you, but maybe some women reading this thread will benefit something.

I will follow up on this thread next week after I see the new doctor. Maybe he has encouraging plans and I'll calm down. In any case, I am resolved to only pout about this for a while. You know the serenity prayer about accepting the things I cannot change.

I wish you the best and look forward to hearing slightly more encouraging follow up.

I know the serenity prayer well, but prefer Dylan Thomas's "Do not go gentle into that good night...Rage, rage against the dying of the light!"

By the way, my friends sometimes say I'm one of the few males who suffers from menopause... ;-)

Thanks for the kind words. I try to live by Dylan's words and most of time succeed. Accepting what I cannot change is fuel for the rage. Can't afford to loose mental energy on "What if's?" I have spent too much time in the past trying to change what cannot be changed. With age comes osteoporosis and wisdom. LOL

Marquis Mark I saw the endocrinologist today and am slightly encouraged. He recommended Prolia. He took some labs and will start the approval process with Tricare. I don't have many options given my previous treatments of Boniva and Forteo. According to Tricare's formulary, Prolia is not covered. However, he said he didn't anticipate any problems given my history and recent t-score. It's an injected drug given every six months. He immediately recognized that I can't tolerate orals. He initially questioned the amount of vitamin D I take, then commented that with my malabsorption, it isn't unreasonable. ( I count not having to explain the massive amounts as a victory of sorts. One less thing I have to smile and nod at, then go home and do what I need to do. :rolleyes:)

You
Marquis Mark I saw the endocrinologist today and am slightly encouraged. He recommended Prolia. He took some labs and will start the approval process with Tricare. I don't have many options given my previous treatments of Boniva and Forteo. According to Tricare's formulary, Prolia is not covered. However, he said he didn't anticipate any problems given my history and recent t-score. It's an injected drug given every six months. He immediately recognized that I can't tolerate orals. He initially questioned the amount of vitamin D I take, then commented that with my malabsorption, it isn't unreasonable. ( I count not having to explain the massive amounts as a victory of sorts. One less thing I have to smile and nod at, then go home and do what I need to do. :rolleyes:)

You are living the serenity prayer. Well done. It sound like you have a good doc there, too. Sending you good vibes...

Is it correct to assume that the body can only handle so many treatments of Boniva and Forte? Is that why they want to use Prolia now? Or am I missing something?

The FDA said that Forteo can only be taken for two years because the rats they experimented on didn't do well. I get that sometimes animals get tested, but I don't know enough science to say that rats are valid subjects for experiments. Monkeys, I can see being closer, but...

He explained that Prolia does not work the way Boniva does. Some drugs slow bone loss, others build it up. The literature he gave me says it was developed for post-menopausal women. Another encouraging thing is that he has won appeals with Tricare so it's not like his first rodeo. He seemed confident he'd get it approved. I can pay for it, but if Tricare pays, I'll spend that $1,500 +/- on something fun.

I was pleased with the way he explained things. Not too chatty, just enough to get his points across. Confident without being cocky. My former endocrinologist was on the faculty at Vanderbilt Medical School and this doc is a former student, hence the referral. I liked the other doctor, yet I'm sure he is enjoying his retirement. Another bonus, this new doc is going to be managing my hypothyroidism. I'm not ready to quit being an Eeyore and become a Tigger, but I am feeling better than I did before the appointment.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

I saw the endocrinologist today and am slightly encouraged. He recommended Prolia.
Prolia is a good option UNLESS you live in a rig like we do. We wouldn't have the freedom to roam like we do.

I'm due up this fall for another DEXA. My last one showed the Reclast worked well enough to stop more bone loss. We will see how it is now, it's been two years since my last Reclast infusion.

Prolia is a good option UNLESS you live in a rig like we do. We wouldn't have the freedom to roam like we do.

I'm due up this fall for another DEXA. My last one showed the Reclast worked well enough to stop more bone loss. We will see how it is now, it's been two years since my last Reclast infusion.
I hope you at least stay at the same level when you get your next DEXA. Doc was very emphatic about sticking to the recommended schedule, including how Prolia worked. He gave me some pamphlets and one of them had little sticker reminders, not unlike a calendar with stickers on a breast cancer reminder to do monthly exams.

When I got my DEXA, the tech had this thing with three sliding part. Normal bone, bad bone , and worse bone. The exam room I was in yesterday had two models. I pointed them out to DH and he remarked how he hadn't realized what bone looked like. He also said we would pay for the Rx if insurance didn't cover it. Yes, indeed, feeling mightily blessed today. A supportive DH and the means to pay for it if necessary.

I've heard too many stories about people not being able to afford medicine not to be grateful. Before my DS was eligible for Medicare, she had to make decisions about which medicines they could afford. Her DH has slightly more needs than her so she often went without. Now both are on Medicare and he was able to get enrolled for VA prescription benefits. This is the DS who received my used CPAP after my OSA resolved. Her private insurance had a $5,000 deductible.

Just a little bit more to add to this... I'll be getting a Prolia injection in Oct. I'm hoping that since I tolerated the Boniva and Forteo, I'll also tolerate this. While I'm satisfied with my choice, I realize it will be a year before I get the next DEXA to see what happens to my scores. Acceptance of what I cannot change and patience to get there.

Just a little bit more to add to this... I'll be getting a Prolia injection in Oct. I'm hoping that since I tolerated the Boniva and Forteo, I'll also tolerate this. While I'm satisfied with my choice, I realize it will be a year before I get the next DEXA to see what happens to my scores. Acceptance of what I cannot change and patience to get there.

Nothing I can do, but sending you good thoughts...

Well, guess what?!

Just got my new Dexa scores back and my BMD has IMPROVED!

In one year my...

Hips went from -2.2 to -1.6
Lumbar went from -1.0 to -0.8

I've been taking lots of calcium (citrate and hydroxapetite), magnesium, boron, K1 and K2 spread all throughout the day. I cut down my caffeine and inconsistently added hip exercises to my walking routine. I've also put on about 10 pounds in the last year so maybe that helped.

Anyway, it's nice to be able to share good news. ;-)

Latest posts

Back