Big Sleeve DS

Still Waters

Regardless of the conversations, the written contract, and the inserted and signed specifics regarding making my existing Sleeve smaller, my surgeon has left me with a sleeve that is no more restrictive than it was before surgery.

I know something was done, because for the first two days, there was wonderful restriction and I was drinking with a teaspoon. Once the swelling went down, I could eat 2 oz, then in a few days, 4oz. Then six oz, and I am afraid to try any more at 11 days out. As a result, I have been extremely hungry, eating liquids and later a few thicker, but light purees, to make it possible to keep from actually eating real food.

I have tried to talk to the surgeon twice, and was intercepted by the Bariatrics Mgr. and have written a letter on the pt portal, asking for details on what was done. The surgery summary describes activity in reducing or evening the sleeve, but nothing specific about volume or capacity.

When things calm down, will the DS take over, even without the restriction of the sleeve? I only want to lose 80 pounds, so hopefully it will be enough. P.S. No tongue in cheek here, all real questions... Thanks

The surgeon's nurse intercepted the portal request for an explanation, and states they cannot send info to me, but will discuss it 3 weeks from now at my follow-up... By then I will not need the help. Docs seem to be either prima donas, snake oil salesmen or both. "You're our patient for life!" they ballyhooed before surgery. Life on whose terms is the question...

Okay...I don't know you and please accept this in the spirit in which it is offered....but I'm starting to suspect that you are suffering from a Valium Deficiency.

You're a week post-op. Take a deep breath. Exhale slowly. Wait a moment. Do it again. Many of us question the procedure while we are recovering. But if you did your homework pre-op, you know the answer.

Then think back to what you learned when researching this procedure...the DS offers restriction, the smaller stomach...and malabsorption, the rearranged guts. The reason people lose more weight and keep it off longer with the DS...in spite of its having a stomach that is bigger than the RnY pouch...is ________ (fill in the blank.). See? You knew it the whole time!!

We DO adapt somewhat to malabsorption, but it never goes away.

Go breathe.

>>>"Many of us question the procedure while we are recovering. But if you did your homework pre-op, you know the answer."<<<

I appreciate your kindness. I am concerned by the research and anecdotal reference I read pre-surgery, regarding the success of cases where the stomach is too large. Many did not reach the goal of having a normal BMI. I don't recall specific ratios, but I discussed this when I agreed to hire my surgeon. I included it in my written surgery agreement, and now I cannot even get him to send me info on the size and anticipated capacity of my Sleeve. I experienced restriction for two days while the swelling went down, and now I can drink six oz of protein soup without a hiccup... To eat enough to maintain, I stopped losing. I realize the first month is about healing, not losing....

As far as the hunger, it is debilitating and not merely psychological. Since Sleeve 2010, I have been on 1100c and 3 hrs activity, daily, for four years prior to this surgery. This new drop to even lower nutrition levels freaked my metabolism out, especially at a time when the body naturally wants to store energy for the Winter. As far as medication, I take Seroquel, Klonopin and Paroxetine, all of which can complicate the picture, while helping me to cope with some major ups and downs, that anyone experiences after surgery.

I know I will look back and say that was much a do about nothing and done so quickly. WHILE I AM IN IT, however, it is one minute of hunger and frustration at a time. Going back on Victoza, per the doc, and hopefully that will help... Thanks...

Sometimes early out, stomach upset can feel like hunger. It's not as if those nerves are particularly sophisticated. Are you on an acid reducer? 6 oz isn't huge by any standard.

Turns out he showed pictures and gave verbal info to my wife after surgery, but nothing to share with me for later, when I was lucid. Apparently he worked to correct the shape of the original sleeve, but didn't do much to reset it's restrictive quality...

Ricky,

Just my opinion but I feel like you are way over thinking this and my suggestion is that you find something else to focus on. We all had our doubts and fears when it comes to this stuff so soon after surgery.

Focus on the program, do the right things and you will be successful. Keep getting into this negative space and you will fail. Dr. Boyce is very experienced and well respected bariatric surgeon that has done thousands of sleeves and many sleeve revisions. Your just gonna have to trust that he did the right thing for you as that is all anyone can expect from any surgeon.

I warned you that Dr. Boyce favors a larger sleeve for his virgin DS patients and I am sure that flows thru to re-sleeve/DS revisions as well. There are a few studies out there that have done the research around ultimate sleeve size vs % of EWL over the long term and most of them show there is not much difference in the end results.

I hadn't posted here earlier because I'm not sure what the answer is but I want to be supportive. so, "thinking of you!" and keep posting.

:5grouphug:

I was burned by two "expert" surgeons in the past. It is hard to focus on something else, when the constant hunger is a ready reminder. Of course, I know that "One Day at a Time" and reaching for "Serenity, to accept the things I can not change" are the ideal. Believe it or not, I am doing the best I can. Those who know me recognize that, but thanks for the reminder from those who don't...

Turns out he showed pictures and gave verbal info to my wife after surgery, but nothing to share with me for later, when I was lucid. Apparently he worked to correct the shape of the original sleeve, but didn't do much to reset it's restrictive quality...
When you and he discussed this pre-op, did he say he would fix it or did he say he would fix it and make it smaller?

I am a newbie and I feel for you and how you feel. I know your new out and are on mostly liquids and it sounds like you have tried some thicker things but mostly liquids. If you are able to drink 6 ozs of liquids that is actually pretty normal. When I say normal I mean, think of it as if you have ever had a barium swallow, you drink 3-4 oz of this thick liquid and they immediately take pictures to see it goes down your stomach and into your intestines. Liquids and even some thicker liquids are meant to digest and pass through you quickly. I would try to remain as calm as you can, as I bet once you are on more solid foods you will feel restriction again. Plus make sure you are taking an acid reducer, for me right after surgery and being at home, I had what I thought was hunger pains and it was the fact my acid reducer was not working properly and I had my surgeon change it and once I got on the new one, it worked better and those hunger pains cleared up. Hugs to you!

Latest posts

Back