Better Broccoli Salad and Food Renegade blog

JackieOnLine

Staff member
I want to put up the Food Renegade blog address and I share this in particular because I am trying to get in more vegetables like broccoli (what are those called? I can't get close enough for spell check to tell me) - which tends to give me gas. I think it would be good to eat at least some raw, however, so this is a good way.

1. Prepare bacon, if using.
  2. Remove the largest part of the broccoli stem and compost or throw to your chickens. Cut the remaining broccoli – florets and small stems – into very small pieces and add to a medium bowl. Dice onion and add to broccoli along with roughly chopped almonds.
  3. In a pint-sized jar combine raw honey, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil. Cover tightly, shake, and pour over salad ingredients. Toss well, sprinkle with sea salt to taste, and allow to marinate in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving. This may also keep in the refrigerator overnight.
link to full recipe

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That sounds good. I saw a broccoli "salad" recipe that some posted on Facebook recently that was all mayo, cheese and butter, in addition to the bacon. Seemed like too much to me, plus I kinda skeeve mayo. And is cruciferous the word you're looking for?

Mmm, I'm trying this one. I was just thinking it looked like a good one to take to a bbq tomorrow, and then see it does well if it sits for a while first, and can be made and the day before, so that decides it for me. Plus I have most of the stuff already.

that's the word - I know they are very healthy (although gas producing) but I don't like a lot of them unless it's cole slaw.

hope it works for you, Bearmom

Love broccoli, but not raw. I wonder if the recipe would work well with blanched broccoli.

Yup, @southernlady's recipe is what I do, too, more or less. If you truly hate mayo, you can do it with a balsamic vinaigrette and it's also yummy.

The super-mayo version is considered Pennsylvania Dutch in this neck of the woods.

So, made this for the bbq, except I didn't have almonds and used pine nuts, and added some currents. This one is a keeper.

Latest posts

Back