Best shelf-stable protein options?

harrietvane

Looking into the best shelf-stable, long(er) life options for protein.

I know about jerky. (Unfortunately, I hate jerky.) But what is your preferred brand of protein bar or cookie or ball? Any other options that I should be thinking about? Important to be able to last without refrigeration for at least a couple of weeks, and not be too heavy or bulky in luggage.

The place I'm staying does family meals. There will be some meat option (chicken or fish; egg at breakfast) at each meal, but as with most of Asia it's heavy on the rice.

Other than chickpeas and almonds, looking for protein snacks I can keep in my cabin to munch on during the day.

What great adventure are you preparing for?

I'm heading off diving here, in North Sulawesi, Indonesia:

image.jpg

I've been before, and now I know there's nothing around it (great!) and only a tiny shop at the place itself (which sells basically beer, nuts and chips!) so want to pack some things along to eat between meals. I've got a lot of diving booked, so also expecting to want a bit more energy than usual.

So far:

- Nuts and chickpeas
- Peanut butter
- Tuna
- Some kind of jerky/freeze dried beef/salami sticks
- Protein rich instant pasta and pudding options

I am so jealous! I hope you have the most wonderful time and post lots of pictures. The best I have ever done was in Tahiti. I used to take food to go there too. Usually tuna and PB. Take a throwaway plate/silverware. I used to buy those tiny pineapples and whatever else was at the local markets too. Take them back to the room and cut them up. When are you leaving and how long will you be gone?

I used to take food to go there too. Usually tuna and PB. Take a throwaway plate/silverware. I used to buy those tiny pineapples and whatever else was at the local markets too. Take them back to the room and cut them up. When are you leaving and how long will you be gone?

No markets at this one (I've been before, it's just dive places on this side of the island, and need a vehicle to get to the 'town' itself on the other side), so I want to make sure I pack it with me! I'll be leaving end August and gone for 2.5 weeks, back to Singapore for one night, then off to Europe. Last time I was surprised how hungry I was (diving isn't that athletic) and I ate a lot of Chitato beef flavoured potato chips from the small shop at the dive resort.

Tuna is definitely a great idea I hadn't considered until it was mentioned in this thread. I knew you guys would have some things I'd not thought of.

Latest posts

Back