Belviq- Weight Loss Drug

Barb1

This is a newer diet pill that my adult son is thinking about. He finally got into a clinic and had Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. He is going down the same road I did but, because of all the things he has seen me go through he will not even consider weight loss surgery. At this point I am not going to try and change his mind. The more I bring it up the more stubborn he gets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belviq

Phase IIb and other early clinical trial results[edit]
Arena states that "[d]ata from Phase 2 clinical trials of lorcaserin demonstrated that patients who received the drug experienced significantly greater weight loss than patients who received placebo."[21] At the end of 12 weeks, the groups which were administered lorcaserin lost an average of 4.0 pounds (10 mg/day), 5.7 pounds (15 mg/day), and 7.9 pounds (20 mg/day).[22] The placebo group lost an average of 0.7 pounds, despite the fact that all groups received no diet or exercise instruction.

Upon discontinuation of lorcaserin treatment, lost weight is regained. In Phase 2 clinical trials, patients were tracked for 2 weeks post trial completion, and all groups regained weight more rapidly than they had lost.[23] In pre-clinical trial studies, the weight of rats returned to control levels.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belviq

Phase IIb and other early clinical trial results[edit]
Arena states that "[d]ata from Phase 2 clinical trials of lorcaserin demonstrated that patients who received the drug experienced significantly greater weight loss than patients who received placebo."[21] At the end of 12 weeks, the groups which were administered lorcaserin lost an average of 4.0 pounds (10 mg/day), 5.7 pounds (15 mg/day), and 7.9 pounds (20 mg/day).[22] The placebo group lost an average of 0.7 pounds, despite the fact that all groups received no diet or exercise instruction.

Upon discontinuation of lorcaserin treatment, lost weight is regained. In Phase 2 clinical trials, patients were tracked for 2 weeks post trial completion, and all groups regained weight more rapidly than they had lost.[23] In pre-clinical trial studies, the weight of rats returned to control levels.[13]

Thanks @DianaCox. I sent this to my son in a e-mail. I think any of us that took diet pills along the way know they are not the answer. I googled the drug also and it all sounded so familiar. I did not realize the FDA had approved any new diet drugs since Xenical. My son is 40, weighs 410, and is 6'3" tall and has just lost about 40 on his own. I hate that he is going through this but not much I can do to help except commiserate. He has no insurance and does not qualify for Obamacare. again I really need to win the lottery.

Your son is headed towards middle age, and massive weight loss and regain are hard on his body, especially his heart. By all means, he should try again, to convince himself he can't do it on his own, but at some point, enough is enough - and at over 400 lbs, he cannot sustain this weight yoyoing indefinitely.

What do you mean, he doesn't qualify for insurance under the Affordable Care Act? Do you mean that his income is too high to qualify for a premium subsidy?

@DianaCox I agree 100%. My DH had 6 bypass in 2003 with the widow maker being blocked at 98%. In 2004 my MIL had 4 bypass. My MIL and FIL both had diabetes. My DH now has diabetes as do all of his siblings. Well my side just gets cancer. My DH and I worry a lot about him but when my DH couldn't take care of me and do his job I came home and he took care of me. He saw the absolute worse example in me first with the VBG in 1999. That surgery should not be done to anyone! Then a very hard recovery from revision to DS. He was with me when I collapsed from blood clots after my hernia surgery in 2012. I spent 4 days in ICU with that. Then finally this last fall going to CA to Dr. K. I really didn't expect to live let alone do as well as I have since then. The diarrhea thing defenitly didn't help. No I haven't given him a lot of reason to want any weight loss surgery. I am hoping for his sake that he can do this but in my heart we all no what will happen. I only asked about this drug because I thought maybe some one out there might have tried it.

Latest posts

Back