BCBS of WV

Discussion in 'Insurance' started by Amvg74, Oct 2, 2018.

Amvg74

Amvg74 New Member

Hi my name is Ash and I am looking for help with insurance. Basically I have gone to a dr who told me he didn’t want to do DS because he thought I wasn’t “compliant” with vitamins, which I know I can be. But that’s not the problem. I was going to see Dr Kershian I’m CA but apparently my insurance won’t cover out of network. They say “for Bariatric surgery they only cover CAMC drs (the hospital I work at) who does not do DS. Why would I go to a surgeon that doesn’t do DS? He only wants to revision. Is their any way I can fight this. I am 5’4 and 232lb. Help!

hilary1617

hilary1617 First time at the rodeo.

Hi and welcome Amvg74Amvg74 ! There are ways to fight and it is well worth fighting for. Hopefully DianaCoxDianaCox and LarraLarra will chime in with suggestions. All the best!

Amvg74 likes this.
    DianaCox

DianaCox Bad Cop

Ask your PCP for a referral to a DS surgeon. If you get denied, you can appeal. If there is nobody in network who does the DS, it may be possible to force your insurance to pay for an out-of-network referral.

However, it's going to take some time - several months. Be prepared. But this is how you will live for the rest of your life - think twice, cut once.

You will need to gather documents - your Evidence of Coverage - the full 100+ page contract, not the summary of benefits; documentation that the surgeon you saw doesn't do the DS and/or refused to help help you. You may also want to consider plans to do a consult with Dr. Keshishian to enable him to write a letter of medical necessity. You spoke of a revision - what surgery have you already had? And where do you live?

There will be a lot more, but let's start there. Normally LarraLarra and I work together to help people with insurance appeals, but she is going to be unavailable for a couple of weeks.

Amvg74

Amvg74 New Member

Well I saw Dr Abbas in Cleveland, OH and was looking into DS. I’ve done a lot of research on it. I have not seen Dr Shin (he is through CAMC in Charleston, WV) but I do know he doesn’t do DS. I live in Charleston, WV.