Bariatric Surgery and Kidney Injury

Clematis

I just received this article from Fredric Coe MD of University of Chicago on bariatric surgery and kidney damage. It's a bit of a hard read but perhaps as layman-friendly as something this complex can be. (Good god don't ask me to give a synopsis cuz it's over my head.)

Coe is a world renowned kidney stone expert who I contacted 2 years ago when I started getting constant stones. (In my case it turns out I can't properly metabolize calcium supplements -- even before surgery -- so they cause stones.) He was very approachable and said he was in the middle of researching the bariatric surgery connection.

Here is the link to his article:
https://kidneystones.uchicago.edu/bariatric-surgery-and-kidney-injury/

(Hint: everything blue in his article is a link to something else. It is very easy to get "lost" on his site because of this.)

The preface in his email...

"Quite apart from kidney stones, bariatric surgery can cause kidney injury and even acute kidney failure. It need not if precautions are sufficient, but it can.

These surgeries tend to increase urine oxalate excretion, and if that is combined with factors that reduce glomerular filtration, or increase renal sodium and water conservation, crystals of calcium oxalate can form inside the kidney in such a way as to damage them. The specific factors that reduced filtration and increased conservation in this case illustrate the problem and the risk.

People who have had bariatric surgeries need to protect themselves. Although their physicians know this and will warn their patients, so much depends on habit and behavior patients need to be informed and thoughtful on their own, too.

Often I paraphrase articles in these emails. Here that is impossible. If you have had bariatric surgery, or plan it, read this and keep in mind all of the risks you can easily avoid if you know how."

Thank you! A recent ultrasound for a non-kidney related condition noted an incidental finding of a kidney stone.

As you can imagine, I am eagerly awaiting it's escape from the kidney into the rest of my urinary system. Perhaps this article will help me make more. (Sarcasm off!)

"Quite apart from kidney stones, bariatric surgery can cause kidney injury and even acute kidney failure. It need not if precautions are sufficient, but it can."

What are the precautions?

Again, this article is beyond my capacity to fully understand. However I find he gets gobs of comments from physicians and patients. Give it a few weeks and go back and look at comments below article as someone s sure to ask our questions... or you can ask your own questions. He will respond! (There are no comments yet as he just published this.)

Latest posts

Back