As we feared would happen

Cool about the gelato Txkat! My husband is a bean to bar dark chocolate maker. We use unrefined coconut sugar and roast the Maranon bean. Our house smells like brownies while he is roasting. I stay away except to clean.
OMG, I love the smell of roasting chocolate. I used to live in Chicago, and when we would come home after dancing or whatever late at night, the Bloomer's chocolate factory was starting their production for the day...It was like going to sleep in chocolatey heaven. I'm jealous.

I am one week post op from an SADI. My surgeon is the head of the bariatric surgery fellowship at Duke, and they do pretty much every procedure, although my surgeon, personally, won't do a lap band because of the failure, re operation, and complication rates. I am actually part of a proper study being done at Duke. My $48,000 surgery/ hospital stay/ pre-op and post-op support cost me $900. That's not why I chose the SADI. I was looking into a switch, because I wanted the most normal post op lifestyle. I was 267 lbs at my highest weight, but lost over 50 lbs on my own over the past 18 mo. That said, as I lost weight, my blood sugar, which was always fine, started to go up to prediabetes levels, my cholesterol, while not awful @ 216 stubbornly did not budge by even 1 the whole time. So, I was looking for metabolic surgery, and I really hated the idea of a bypass. Everybody I know who has had one has gained back massive amounts of weight. Also, I'm a pastry chef. I own two bakery/dessert cafes, and so I actually do HAVE to eat a certain amount of sugar. So, my BMI at the time of surgery was 35.2. I decided to have the simpler surgery because I like the idea of a longer channel, so there is less likelihood of long term malnutrition. I also like that if I do have issues, the revision is an easy peasy operation. Lower instances of complications, scar tissue, hernias, etc... I was good with the idea of a sleeve+. I was out of the hospital in 30 hours. Im down 9 lbs from my pre-op weight and 16 from the weight When came home. They do pump you full of fluid, don't they? I do not feel awesome, and I'm not loving that I can't take a good, thirst quenching drink of water without stabbing pain. That said, I would have been disappointed to be assigned to the DS or sleeve group in the study. I like the middle.

Thanks for sharing your story because I was trying to decide between a surgeon with Duke and the one I currently have and now I am afraid I will be kicking myself for cancelling my appt with the Duke surgeon because my surgeon may not do the DS surgery at all, and that is what I want, not the SIPS or to be honest at least the choice and again I don't think my surgeon is known for that particular skillset..... I am looking forward to hearing what options he has for me ... i am seeking a rny to ds revision. I can't wait to read your next post!

Good Health to You.

@Seabreeze06 I have never heard of any surgeon at Duke doing RNY to DS revision. DS for sure, yes, and lap band to DS revision, but not from RNY. If you have been reading some of the other threads here, you will know that there are very few surgeons who take on this complex and very challenging operation. You are going to need to travel. The closest to you are probably Dr. David Greenbaum in NJ, who does them on a selective basis, and Dr. Ayoola in Denton, TX. For you, it's not an issue of DS vs SADI, it's an issue of who does revision of RNY to anything other than some variation on RNY.

@Seabreeze06 I have never heard of any surgeon at Duke doing RNY to DS revision. DS for sure, yes, and lap band to DS revision, but not from RNY. If you have been reading some of the other threads here, you will know that there are very few surgeons who take on this complex and very challenging operation. You are going to need to travel. The closest to you are probably Dr. David Greenbaum in NJ, who does them on a selective basis, and Dr. Ayoola in Denton, TX. For you, it's not an issue of DS vs SADI, it's an issue of who does revision of RNY to anything other than some variation on RNY.
Dr. Boyce in Knoxville is closer than Dr. Ayoola. And @Seabreeze06 Dr. Boyce IS on the list of RNY to DS surgeons

My bestie is getting the first SADI here and is involved in a proper study. Im excited for her as whilst she needs a DS, I don't think she could cope with the upkeep. She was leaning towards a bypass :( but her surgeon gave her this chance to be a part of the study here in the UK and Im stoked as a bypass just would not cut it and we know, not everyone is DS material :)

Latest posts

Back