article on vitamin/mineral patches

Larra

• "The risk of nutrient deficiencies increases as you progress from surgery."
Don't think I agree with this one. I know for absolute sure I absorb more now than I did 10 or 15 years ago!

Good point. My take on this is that some people start out great with their supplements and fall off over the years. No matter what bariatric operation anyone has, each of has to accept the personal responsibility for this lifetime commitment.

I was thinking of doing the PatchMD "Bariatrics Basics 1." instead of a ridiculous amount of pills 3 times a day. Is that not going to work? https://www.patchmd.com/Bariatric-Basics-1_p_69.html
Whole groups of us on FB tried these patches because they are easy. But they did not work for us. Yes, I know transdermal delivery SOUNDS great for us, no malabsorbtion. But it didn't work at all. And no one had GOOD results.

Do most DSers take 50,000iu (or more) of D3 a day, or a week?

That's disappointing to hear about the patches...
Yes. Each and every DAY. As always, you go by your own labs but D seems to be hard to get into high normal range of 30-100.

You also watch your PTH (no pill for it but it’s an important lab test, esp after a malabsorptive surgery that can easily lead to destruction of your bones).

I take 50,000 dry D3 M-F and 100,000 dry D3 on S & S. My hubby just had to go from a similar schedule as mine to 100,000 each day.

I take 50k per day of D3 (cholecalciferol).

For those new to malabsorption, it is important to remember to take the dry (water miscible) forms of usually fat soluble vitamins A,D,E, and K (as needed based on labs). We cannot absorb enough from oil capsules. I've never needed to supplement E.

Had my pre-op labs done a few weeks ago. Vitamin D was 26. I mentioned to my surgeon that many DSers take 50K or more per day. He said he would recommend I start at 5K/day after surgery. Does that seem appropriate?

Had my pre-op labs done a few weeks ago. Vitamin D was 26. I mentioned to my surgeon that many DSers take 50K or more per day. He said he would recommend I start at 5K/day after surgery. Does that seem appropriate?
Nope, not enough. ESP since the lab range is 30-100. You want it as close to 100 as possible.

Not even close, and no wonder your surgeon's DS patients do poorly, if they are so foolish as to take his "advice". Your level is low now, with normal absorption of D. It's only going to drop to dangerous levels if you don't supplement aggressively when you don't absorb normally. I tried ADEK's at first (big mistake, not enough of anything to do the job), then went to 50,000/day of D, did better but still barely within normal limits, and now do 100,000 daily every single day just to stay mid-range. You may need a little more, or a little less, but for sure what he's recommending is going to get you into trouble.

Latest posts

Back