Are low iron and ferritin a barrier to bariatric surgery?

Diana S.

Just got a call from the DMHC. He says he needs to talk to Dr. Rabkin before 1pm TODAY before he speaks with Kaiser (re: my IMR) to confirm that my low iron and ferritin levels are/are not a barrier to DS surgery. He said that he wanted expert opinion before he spoke with Kaiser so that they didn't say something to the effect of "well she has low iron, so the DS is impossible" and he has no facts to back it up or counter.

However, Dr. Rabkin's office is closed today, and I don't have a more direct way to contact him or his office. Is there any go-to publication that would support this being a non-issue and totally correctable? Is there a recommended doctor that I can impose upon today to call and advocate for me on this? What alternatives to this would be recommended, as my deadline is in less than an hour :/

Just got a call from the DMHC. He says he needs to talk to Dr. Rabkin before 1pm TODAY before he speaks with Kaiser (re: my IMR) to confirm that my low iron and ferritin levels are/are not a barrier to DS surgery. He said that he wanted expert opinion before he spoke with Kaiser so that they didn't say something to the effect of "well she has low iron, so the DS is impossible" and he has no facts to back it up or counter.

However, Dr. Rabkin's office is closed today, and I don't have a more direct way to contact him or his office. Is there any go-to publication that would support this being a non-issue and totally correctable? Is there a recommended doctor that I can impose upon today to call and advocate for me on this? What alternatives to this would be recommended, as my deadline is in less than an hour :/
I don't know about a non-issue but honestly, you want your iron stores (including ferritin)in great shape pre-op.

I don't know about a non-issue but honestly, you want your iron stores (including ferritin)in great shape pre-op.

Oh for sure, I want all my levels spot-on pre-surgery, but just because my iron is low isn't a big deal because it's a correctable condition and not a barrier to being approved. That's all I meant.

Oh for sure, I want all my levels spot-on pre-surgery, but just because my iron is low isn't a big deal because it's a correctable condition and not a barrier to being approved. That's all I meant.
You do not want it low at all going into surgery. If you go into planned surgery very low on iron, it could be suicide.

Do you know what is causing low iron pre-op? I know it may not be what you want to read here, but an underlying condition that drives low iron levels _could_ be a barrier...

Yes, I have a malformed sleeve that's causing extreme pain as I try to eat solid foods. I've been on a liquid diet for two plus months and that's why my levels tanked. I need a resleeve, to correct the twisted stomach, as part of the DS, and all these appeals are stretching out the process longer and longer.

Yes, I have a malformed sleeve that's causing extreme pain as I try to eat solid foods. I've been on a liquid diet for two plus months and that's why my levels tanked. I need a resleeve, to correct the twisted stomach, as part of the DS, and all these appeals are stretching out the process longer and longer.

Sorry to hear that and best wishes for speedy resolution.

Latest posts

Back