Approved!

BeccaHertel

Hello :)
Just found out this morning my cardiac clearance is in and my insurance approved my DS! I have an ultrasound on my gallbladder scheduled (surgeon said he requires these for all his DS patients now) for 3/27 and I need to take 4 educational/nutritionist classes prior to surgery. She said the scheduler will call me before my ultrasound to set an official date for surgery. Also, my surgeon requires 3 weeks of liquid diet to shrink the liver for the lap DS. I'm definitely not looking forward to that, but it will be great practice for post-op.
Ahhhhh I am getting so excited :clapping:
I need to start stocking up on vitamins and protein powder now, I guess. I'm going to go with Vitalady's regimen and Bariatric Advantage shakes. I'll keep everyone updated on when I get scheduled then I can really kick it into overdrive!
Becca

My surgeon routinely takes the gallbladder and appendix at time of DS. Gallbladder because it frequently goes bad after DS, appendix because insurance insists while they are in the abdomen, it comes out.

Ultrasound of the gallbladder is often useless in detecting "sludge", which mine had. It went undiagnosed for 13 years because ultrasounds were all "negative". Meanwhile, my gallbladder became grossly infected and adhered to everything around it, making removal dicey. It also didn't help that my surgeon (NOT my DS surgeon, but the gallbladder doc) was a drunk. Years later his booking photo came across my desk at work. He later died in prison after losing his medical license over DUIs.

Sheanie: Yes I'm confident I will get the full DS. All hell will break loose if after all of this stress and testing I wake up and find out I'm only sleeved. I plan to get everything in writing and will let him know there is no other option than a full DS.
I was thinking that the gallbladder ultrasound sounded useless, but the nurse said it recently (within the last month) became policy for all of his DS patients. Whatever gives them peace of mind...?
Thank you ALL for the support :) You have all been a big part of my life as of late and I'm so grateful!
Becca

Latest posts

Back