Anyone watching Too Large on Discovery +?

I watched first 2 episodes. It was okay. I don't know why they have to go so extreme. Why not show someone who needs to lose 150-200 lbs and let them reach their goal. Allot of us start where these people get to. Makes the normal bariatric patient feel like their success is nothing. Plus they don't highlight the procedures and nutrition as much as I would like to see. You rarely see any of them consuming protien shakes. I vividly remember the 2 week liquid diet to shrink my liver. That one show was really good with the guy in Texas that had DS. That story was more compelling to me. I guess I just want to see more of the medical part of the journey and a little less of the personal story.

I found it a bit dull.

The Pandemic also influenced the show, I think. But I agree. I'd like to see the ins and outs of living with the DS and/or preop.

I just once want to see someone who has a semi regular life that has a weight problem. The way these stories are presented everyone who has a weight problem doesn't have a good job or doesn't take good care of themselves and has poor hygiene. Because I am only 5'3" and was over 300lbs I was considered super morbidly obese, but I shower everyday, I have a good job, I don't have serious mental health or trauma issues, I just struggle with weight. Where are the shows about people like me?
I am so thankful I can afford good healthy food and Healthcare and my vitamins. I feel bad for the one girl having to rely on food pantries, but when that type of person is all they show it perpetuates the stereotype that fat people are poor and nasty. Most obese people are just as capable as normal weight people, but we have less credibility in most arenas.
Sorry.... just venting some fat bias issues.

No. You have a point. For some reason they don’t seem to think we’d be interested in 300lb people. They seem to feel we need the shock value of a larger person.

It could be so good. I mean I have been thrilled with the small things normal weight people don't even consider.
Sitting in a booth at a restaurant
Airplane seats
Crossing your legs
Walking up and down stairs
Roller coasters
Easily tying your shoes
Sitting on the floor to wrap Christmas presents
Getting up off the floor.
The list goes on and on. This vacation I went to an amusement park and rode on and fit in every roller coaster. It was amazing. You could show them getting new clothes...... this new show is just a cookie cutter reproduction of my 600 lb life. There is so much more to the journey to lose weight and become healthy than they show.

Size isn’t stopping me, age and arthritis keep me off the floor.
True. I can't sit on the floor as long as I used to, but at least my weight doesn't keep me from getting up.
And........ my butt starts to hurt because I lost my built in seat cushion.

Episode 4 was very sad.
I think she truly wanted to change, but just waited too long.

I have not seen it... what do you mean by waited too long? Disease or Age?

FWIIW, the reason I ask is I got a DS at 68... wish I'd done it sooner, but it was not too late. Re disease, for me, it resolved several comorbidities: T2 diabetes, higher cholesterol, high blood pressure, sleep apnea.

Unless it will kill you in surgery, or is counter indicated for some related problem (Barrett's esophagus, or advanced Gerd come to mind) , DS will help

I have not seen it... what do you mean by waited too long? Disease or Age?

FWIIW, the reason I ask is I got a DS at 68... wish I'd done it sooner, but it was not too late. Re disease, for me, it resolved several comorbidities: T2 diabetes, higher cholesterol, high blood pressure, sleep apnea.

Unless it will kill you in surgery, or is counter indicated for some related problem (Barrett's esophagus, or advanced Gerd come to mind) , DS will help
Spoiler alert!!!!!!!

The patient in this episode died 2 months after surgery.
She had gained a large portion of her weight following a car accident where her leg was injured and did not heal well. That caused bad lymphodemea. 2 months after the WLS she got an infection that turned to sepsis and killed her.
If she had sought WLS sooner it might have saved her life, but by the time she had it her health was too far gone.
It was very sad.

Spoiler alert!!!!!!!
The patient in this episode died 2 months after surgery.
She had gained a large portion of her weight following a car accident where her leg was injured and did not heal well. That caused bad lymphodemea. 2 months after the WLS she got an infection that turned to sepsis and killed her.
If she had sought WLS sooner it might have saved her life, but by the time she had it her health was too far gone.
It was very sad.
I think it was just bad luck. Not too late. Had she not had the car accident, she probably would have been fine. But the car accident did her in.

IMO, they don’t show the 300 pound people because we know those people. We see them at the grocery store, they are our coworkers, family, and friends. They are normal for us to see. They aren’t extreme. Showing a 300 pound person humanizes and normalizes obesity and people don’t watch TV for that reason. They don’t want to understand the realities of obesity. They want the extreme, they want the separation of TV and their life. People want shock value. Not someone who can do most things but weigh 300 pounds despite eating right, exercising, etc.

Latest posts

Back