Antibiotics

nedsmehlp

Ouch! Have a UTI and went to the medical center. I was given a capsule antibiotic. It doesn't seem to be helping. Do we absorb medicines in capsule form? The Dr. didn't think I'd have any trouble absorbing a capsule, but as I'm finding out, the medical professionals here don't know what the DS is.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

How long have you been on the antibiotics? Have you considered taking the capsule apart and taking some water to wash it done? I'll do that on occasion. I've encountered some horrid tasting substances, but it's only for a while. If the taste lingers, brush your teeth or use some mouth wash.

Last edited:
Capsules should be fine. But if you are worried, take it apart.

Just don't put it in yogurt. However add yogurt to your day to help.

(It ain't the capsule, it's what's IN the capsule.)

Are they running a C&S--culture and sensitivity/susceptibility --on your urine sample?

Those results take three days and UNTIL THOSE RESULTS ARE IN HAND, THEY ARE JUST TAKING A WILD-ASS GUESS as to which antibiotic to use.

And they usually guess that Macrobid will do the trick.

So, just in case that is what they guessed, Macrobid ("bid" is the abbreviation for the Latin words that mean "twice a day") it might help to know that first there was Macrodantin, which people take maybe 4 x/day, and they they decided it would be easier to take it only twice a day and made an extended (sustained? time-?) release version, Macrobid.

Which is not always a good choice for DS people because our guts often do not process stuff at the same pace as the guts of others.

So, even if they did a C&S and even if it is the correct DRUG, it might not be the correct DELIVERY of that drug.

I would:
-call and ask when we expect my C&S results;
-provide another urine sample so they can DO a C&S this time;
-take the meds they gave me, unless it was Macrobid, in which case explain that I need Macrodantin;
-get a copy of the C&S so that I know I'm taking the right medication.

Been livin' at this rodeo for over 50 years...good luck.

Last edited:
PS...Azo makes an OTC pyridium that should help. But urine will become "competition orange."

Thanks for all the info. I kept getting a bewildered look when I said I had the Duodenal Switch and had to explain it was a bariatric surgery and I had malabsorption. They must not have done a C&S cause they said all the results were in, it took about an hour. I was given Cephalexin 500mg cap lup, generic for KEFLEX. I guess I better start eating yogurt. I've never been a yogurt eater, what is the best kind? Is Activia supposed to be the best? Doesn't yogurt have a lot of sugar? I'm paranoid about getting to much sugar during my weight loss stage.

When I had a sinus infection I was told by Dr. K not to take one a day antibiotics. That I should be taking a prescription with many doses in a day. Also with my infection I took them for 3 weeks instead of one week.

Thanks for all the info. I kept getting a bewildered look when I said I had the Duodenal Switch and had to explain it was a bariatric surgery and I had malabsorption. They must not have done a C&S cause they said all the results were in, it took about an hour. I was given Cephalexin 500mg cap lup, generic for KEFLEX. I guess I better start eating yogurt. I've never been a yogurt eater, what is the best kind? Is Activia supposed to be the best? Doesn't yogurt have a lot of sugar? I'm paranoid about getting to much sugar during my weight loss stage.

The yogurt connection is, I think, that it might keep your gut from overreacting to an antibiotic. Not that it will help a UTI.

A quickie test is a dipstick (and Azo sells one for home testing, too) ...doing a new urine sample now that you are on antibiotics might be more challenging. BUT FROM NOW ON, you want the urine tested. There is no point in just throwing random antibiotics at a UTI, when doing so can cause ALL KINDS OF OTHER PROBLEMS.

Good luck with this. And don't let it get to your kidneys.

When I had a sinus infection I was told by Dr. K not to take one a day antibiotics. That I should be taking a prescription with many doses in a day. Also with my infection I took them for 3 weeks instead of one week.

Yup. A non-DS person's body may take 12-hours to process an extended release capsule while we might poop it out in two hours...or a couple of days.

I just did the bowel prep from hell for an endoscopy and colonoscopy. Directions said the laxative should start working in two hours, but MAYBE a little longer. Is nine hours "a little longer?" My bowel took ELEVEN HOURS for the laxative to START working.

OTOH, when I go for imaging that involves contrast...my orders say to drink the contrast in the waiting room (not at home) and do the imaging within the hour. Otherwise, it might be all gone.

Post-DS, it is just unpredictable.

I don't actually start by saying Duodenal Switch, I start with "surgically induced short gut syndrome". The light bulb goes on. Then I explain that I malabsorb food, vitamins, medicine....and still haven't said the words "Duodenal Switch".

As far as yogurt, Fage is one of the better ones. If you can tolerate the unflavored, great. I can't.

Yes, yogurt has milk sugars....I don't fixate on any sugars in dairy.

Latest posts

Back