anemic?

Don’t drop ALL your B12. Maybe cut it down to 3-4 days a week and see where it lands. You want that one high side of normal.
good info (that's why I come here!)
how soon should I re-test, they never talked about that.
just wait until next year?

I just talked to the nurse again and the doctor told him I should have an endoscopy first. I guess she thinks I could have blood loss from damage to my esophagus from reflux over the last 10 years.

Go for a twofer. My doctors combine endoscopy with colonoscopy in a single sitting - which they refer to as the "double dip"...

hmm, wonder if that's an option.

but I just did the fit test and no blood so I think I will put off the colonoscopy for awhile. just like I am putting off some fillings and getting a crown. because of money.

I just took my first iron pill. I had so much fiber with my dinner (salad and a big sweet potato) I'm likely going to have some GI "distress" but I won't know if it's from the iron or not! LOL.

what do you think of the schedule - one pill three times a week? the fact that she is so conservative about the supplement (and from what her nurse said) I suspect she is against the infusion. like, go slower on adding iron for some reason.

hmm, wonder if that's an option.

but I just did the fit test and no blood so I think I will put off the colonoscopy for awhile. just like I am putting off some fillings and getting a crown. because of money.

I just took my first iron pill. I had so much fiber with my dinner (salad and a big sweet potato) I'm likely going to have some GI "distress" but I won't know if it's from the iron or not! LOL.

what do you think of the schedule - one pill three times a week? the fact that she is so conservative about the supplement (and from what her nurse said) I suspect she is against the infusion. like, go slower on adding iron for some reason.

I think the conservative approach to oral iron could be designed to minimize gi distress. She may have a different take on infusions since they don't impact the digestive system, but she may want to try supplements first as infusions can be expensive and there is a limited risk of allergic reaction... I'd still ask for one.

I could be wrong, but I do not think they will do an infusion since you do absorb iron orally.

I did ask and never got an answer - but I know the nurse forwarded my message so I think the doctor didn't like the idea.
her idea seems to be slow is the way to go.
and I'll hear about the referral for an endoscopy "within a few weeks" - would rather hear earlier! get this show on the road.

My understanding is iron absorption occurs mostly in the duodenum. Those with a VSG have not disturbed the duodenum, and still absorb iron without problem
The idea is accurate but unfortunately humans don’t follow the rules. Many normal people have anemia. My half sister does and never had bariatric surgery. And based on the fact that my secondary RLS is cleared up with iron infusions, and I had RLS for about 5-8 years pre-DS, I probably suffered from anemia as well.

in my completely non- scientific poll (telling everyone that I know I am anemic) the majority of women my age are or have been. no idea why.

my doctor thinks I should have an upper GI endoscopy (see if the heartburn over the years is from something fixable and what damage has it done and is there anywhere blood loss is going on).

surgeon said as long as I'm getting that I should have a colonoscopy - I'm 58 and never have before - so I only get sedated once.

I am more than a little anxious about it; scheduled for December 5th.

My theory is that the seeming prevalence in anemia in women I know may be linked to heightened knowledge about osteoporosis. I think women are increasingly focused on calcium supplementation - which can interfere with iron absorption if not timed right. That and the whole menstrual cycle thing...

Colonoscopy is a great thing. It's the only procedure I know of that can detect and remove precancerous growths all in one sitting. Sure, the day before clean-out prep is unpleasant and it is a bit embarrassing, but overall no big deal, really - I swear. After all, what happens in lower GI stays in lower GI according to my doc!
I had my first one at 30 due to bleeding and they found a couple of polyps and removed them. Since then I've been a frequent flier. Go for it! Your health is worth it!

Last edited:
I know there are always risks - and I'm more afraid of the upper GI. I asked the surgeon if she'd scoped a sleeve before and she said yes and then I made sure she knew my surgeon was an old gentleman in Mexico so it may look different from whatever else she has seen. That's all I could think of to do.

oh, I'm going to do it. If there is something to find, I want it found. it's scheduled for Dec 5th.

Latest posts

Back