Altitude Gas! Didn’t see that coming!

I guess so...but NSAIDs often DO irritate stomach lining, and we have such small stomachs that...in my non-medical mind...an NSAID might be more of a problem for us. Of course, there is probably no evidence supporting my theory.
On the other hand, it doesn't seem to sit in my stomach that long. I don't take much, just a 200 mg pill in the morning and at bedtime. I was on Celebrex pre surgery. When I was able to go back on an NSAID, I started back on the absolute minimal dose. Being the cheapass that I am with some things, I tried just and OTC ibuprofen instead and did just fine. And that's what I have taken a year after my surgery.

Remember, there is a warning on the NSAID labels about possible stomach irritation and that label is for everyone, not just us.

On the other hand, it doesn't seem to sit in my stomach that long. I don't take much, just a 200 mg pill in the morning and at bedtime. I was on Celebrex pre surgery. When I was able to go back on an NSAID, I started back on the absolute minimal dose. Being the cheapass that I am with some things, I tried just and OTC ibuprofen instead and did just fine. And that's what I have taken a year after my surgery.

Remember, there is a warning on the NSAID labels about possible stomach irritation and that label is for everyone, not just us.

Okay. Here’s an Alleged Fact I spread around:

The stomach lining irritation that occurs as a result of taking NSAIDs, while mostly related to geography, is also related to chemistry.

That is...while topical NSAIDs cause less irritation, they still contribute to it...and it isn’t just a matter of the pill landing in the stomach, because damage can occur in the kidney, liver and GI tract. Potential damage to the mucosal lining of the stomach and other areas, AND prostaglandin issues I don’t understand, all go along with the pain relieving properties of NSAIDs. I think.

One thing...they are contraindicated for RnY patients because of problems at the anastomoses. We ALSO have anastomoses. I wonder if the RnY warning should have been directed to us as well, but that DS was just not even considered.

One thing...they are contraindicated for RnY patients because of problems at the anastomoses. We ALSO have anastomoses. I wonder if the RnY warning should have been directed to us as well, but that DS was just not even considered
I was under the impression they were contraindicationed for RNY due to the stoma at the bottom of the pouch and due to the blind stomach which can not be scoped.

I was under the impression they were contraindicationed for RNY due to the stoma at the bottom of the pouch and due to the blind stomach which can not be scoped.

I think that was the issue back when WE were deciding, but there are lots of newer papers on NSAIDs and leaks at the anastomosis in colorectal surgeries.

And I was reading about them for MI patients...MrSue had a heart attack and now they are saying that there is an increased risk for another MI with NSAID use. I need him around to reach the high shelves.

Actually ASBMS stated total abstinence for RNY forever, but only suggested avoiding them for surgeries with a sleeve. It wasn’t an outright ban type statement from them for us.

That’s one reason I am careful how I tell others, especially newbies, how they can use NSAIDs using those three points.

I added Voltaren creme for those times when my 200 mgs twice a day isn’t enough. I dread the idea of ever having to increase that but I need that amount to be functional every day.

Actually ASBMS stated total abstinence for RNY forever, but only suggested avoiding them for surgeries with a sleeve. It wasn’t an outright ban type statement from them for us.

That’s one reason I am careful how I tell others, especially newbies, how they can use NSAIDs using those three points.

I added Voltaren creme for those times when my 200 mgs twice a day isn’t enough. I dread the idea of ever having to increase that but I need that amount to be functional every day.

Didn’t know about total abstinence. I have NSAIDs on hand, and Voltaren. If I REALLY need them.

But my Percocet is my “keeps me functional” drug. The first thing in the morning pill is non-negotiable. When weather changes are afoot, the second pill...four hours later even though the Rx says six hours...is needed. But after that one or those two doses, I can go eight, ten hours...even more. Without those, I’m mostly just a whiney, sedentary mess. When I don’t take the prescribed four tabs per day, I stockpile them. At any moment, all of us are going to have to suffer because some jackasses, in the dark red areas, are using these drugs for fun. (Just like my sinus pills.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/investigations/dea-pain-pill-database/

yikes.

I was thinking tylenol was an NSAID but it isn't, apparently. that'll just hurt your liver wasn't it?

it's always something.

I was thinking tylenol was an NSAID but it isn't, apparently. that'll just hurt your liver wasn't it?
True but there is some pain Tylenol won't even touch. For me, Tylenol may as well be a placebo. And being very hard on the liver tend to keep me away from it as my liver numbers are higher than one PCP I saw liked. But then I had just increased my metformin and that's hard on the liver as well. They are settling down as of last labs.

Funny thing, aspirin is an NSAID and a baby aspirin was the first line of defense for anything heart related. There are studies coming out showing it's not the best idea for people under 65, esp women. However it is still a blood thinner that does help those with a high risk.

I didn't know this! We are traveling to Cali by plane in October. Going to have to back some GasEx
I’m not sure it’s related to the DS OR if I was just gassy and it coincided with the altitude. I was having separate minor altitude sickness. The gas pain hit me right as we began to climb the mountain. After I walked that off I didn’t get the pain again, just gassy bloating that seemed to get worse when I went to higher elevations. Who knows‍♀️. It could have been carbs, though I wasn’t eating much of anything due to altitude sickness. I’m home now and all is normal!

True but there is some pain Tylenol won't even touch. For me, Tylenol may as well be a placebo. And being very hard on the liver tend to keep me away from it as my liver numbers are higher than one PCP I saw liked. But then I had just increased my metformin and that's hard on the liver as well. They are settling down as of last labs.

Funny thing, aspirin is an NSAID and a baby aspirin was the first line of defense for anything heart related. There are studies coming out showing it's not the best idea for people under 65, esp women. However it is still a blood thinner that does help those with a high risk.
Tylenol has never provided me w/pain relief. But it helped kill my high-functioning (he was a judge) alcoholic cousin. On chardonnay, he thrived. But he got flu-like symptoms, someone (wife? secretary? court clerk?) offered him a Tylenol or two for a few days...he ended up dying a few months later in a nursing home.

The part I hate about Vicodin or Percocet is that it is laced w/Tylenol. I fear THAT way more than the opioid.

my doctor told me to take an aspirin - might have been a low dose one, not sure - when I drive more than 2 hours because of my varicose veins so I won't get a blood clot.
I did it on my drive here (and when I drove to Colorado) because I'm afraid of a blood clot. but don't know if I should have.

but I often don't know what is the best thing to do. :confused:

Latest posts

Back