Altitude Gas! Didn’t see that coming!

Jacks39

So I know we are more prone to gas while flying due to the changes in pressure, but it didn’t occur to me to plan for the same when traveling to the mountains. Drove up to Lake Tahoe yesterday and whoo boy I felt like I was having a massive heart attack as soon as we hit elevation. It didn’t help that I’d been reclining and sipping a Diet Coke. I had hubby pull over and I changed into loose shorts, took two GasX, and began to pace the parking lot until I burped it out. Reminded me of the gas pain right after surgery.
As I sit here in my lovely hotel making plans for the weekend I wonder how my body will react to the gondola ride up Heavenly Mountain tomorrow morning? Anyone have this problem in higher altitudes?

Anyone have this problem in higher altitudes
Not us but others report things like chip bags (still sealed) blowing up, if they have an air mattress and forget to let the air out, they’ve blown up the bed. (Particularly painful to the wallet if it’s a sleep number).

all I can tell you is altitude does weird things to you - I found I needed to drink much more water in Colorado Springs than in Carson City even though it was just as dry both places; I think it was the higher altitude.

hope the rest of your trip goes well, it's a beautiful part of the world, I kind of miss it!

All is fine, but I keep blowing up with gas whenever we go up to higher elevations. Even an additional 500 feet does it. My family thinks it’s hilarious because I look 9 months pregnant. Then I gotta fart that air back out. At least it’s odorless!
I haven’t been up here since I was in my twenties and I’ve noticed I’m more sensitive to the altitude change in general, not just the gas.
The gondola ride up to the top of Heavenly was amazingly beautiful, btw. If you’re ever in Tahoe it’s totally worth it!

I had to leave Yellowstone via ambulance. Shortness of breath presenting as cardiac issues. Didn’t consider it as something related to the DS. I was prescribed Acetazolamide, but that is taken in ADVANCE of the next trip. There are probably newer drugs now...but...IBUPROFEN may help. And NSAIDs are not generally good for us, but they may be better than having heart attack symptoms? You might need to start right away.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/20/ibuprofen-can-prevent-altitude-sickness/

I had to leave Yellowstone via ambulance. Shortness of breath presenting as cardiac issues. Didn’t consider it as something related to the DS. I was prescribed Acetazolamide, but that is taken in ADVANCE of the next trip. There are probably newer drugs now...but...IBUPROFEN may help. And NSAIDs are not generally good for us, but they may be better than having heart attack symptoms? You might need to start right away.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/20/ibuprofen-can-prevent-altitude-sickness/
Good to know! I got canned oxegyn as well. The DS part seems just to be gas, like a bag of chips blowing up. It might not even be related to the altitude but I acts like it is.

Ew no fun! Being Florida born and raised this body does not like much over sea level.

Never heard the ibuprofen thing. Also, are we not supposed to take NSAIDs after DS? I thought it was ok?

Ew no fun! Being Florida born and raised this body does not like much over sea level.

Never heard the ibuprofen thing. Also, are we not supposed to take NSAIDs after DS? I thought it was ok?
If you handle NSAIDS preop, they are fine post op...WITH CAVEATS!
  1. Be healed completely or cleared by your surgeon. I was cleared at 4 weeks. It takes at least 8 weeks to fully heal.
  2. Take as small a dose as possible. Do not exceed the OTC daily limit unless cleared by a doctor.
  3. Take with food.

1. Be healed completely or cleared by your surgeon. I was cleared at 4 weeks. It takes at least 8 weeks to fully heal.
  2. Take as small a dose as possible. Do not exceed the OTC daily limit unless cleared by a doctor.
  3. Take with food.

Thank you. I only take a few during worse day of my period or if I’m going to be on my feet for a long time.

Thank you. I only take a few during worse day of my period or if I’m going to be on my feet for a long time.
You may have to deal with your period pain without one time, depending on your period schedule.

I had to go 6 weeks without NSAIDS, 2 weeks before since it’s a blood thinner, and 4 weeks after. And my need is 24/7 for back pain, knee pain, etc. It was a long ass 6 weeks.

You may have to deal with your period pain without one time, depending on your period schedule.

I had to go 6 weeks without NSAIDS, 2 weeks before since it’s a blood thinner, and 4 weeks after. And my need is 24/7 for back pain, knee pain, etc. It was a long ass 6 weeks.

I’ll be ok. Sorry you had to suffer so long.

This is why God made opiates...she KNOWS from period pain.

3. Take with food.

I guess so...but NSAIDs often DO irritate stomach lining, and we have such small stomachs that...in my non-medical mind...an NSAID might be more of a problem for us. Of course, there is probably no evidence supporting my theory.

Latest posts

Back