Almost Done w/requirements for Surgery!

Webmommy

I have a few random things to share but wanted to show I'm still here! I have had two nutritionist appointments, bloodwork, EGD, cardiac clearance with cardiologist which included echocardiogram, EKG, Cardiac Nuclear PET Scan and a stress test. I just need one more nutritionist appointment and my in home sleep study which are both on Thursday! Then I will have completed all the things that Medicare wants.

So far I don't have the big comorbidities that the surgeon's office says Medicare approves for like high blood pressure or diabetes. I'm hoping for sleep apnea and there's a good chance that I have it because I snore and shake the house like a train. I could have sworn that I read something official from Medicare that with a BMI over 40 that I didn't need a comorbidity but I can't find it now. What happens if I don't have sleep apnea? Could arthritis and high cholesterol be enough?

Also, they haven't said specifically that I should be losing weight and I really haven't. Last month I had a stomach virus right before I went and was still recovering at the time of my appointment but I told them that I had been really sick. I had lost 6 pounds but I have gained half that back now despite my efforts. I have been keeping my set goals though.

I also want to add for anyone searching later that I had the cardiac stress test with medication at the cardiologist because they said that I would need to walk for 20 minutes but I don't have the mobility. The medication made me feel awful. Nauseous, dizzy, weak, headachey and my chest kind of felt funny.

They had told me before hand that I shouldn't breastfeed for 48 hours but I consulted with LactMed and an doctor who's a well known expert in breastfeeding and Tetrofosmin was 6 hours. But then they didn't use it and the drug they did use Rubidium had a half life of 72 seconds and my baby didn't have to wait at all. She wasn't there and by the time I had arrived at home the markers were no longer radioactive. They recommend 24 hours but that is based on liability and not at all the amount of radioactive materials that would be in my body. Nor on the science of how milk is produced by a body.

Lastly, I have joined a few fb DS groups and wow! Not everyone values and evidence based approach and are so easily threatened by facts or research that may disagree with the decisions they made. So I like it here and all your frank talking ways!

Medicare requirements: https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/cms-center-for-medicare-medicaid-service-wls-standards.317/
I am a Medicare DSer with a starting BMI of 35.2 and diabetes. Hubby was a 38+ with sleep apnea.

My bmi is 43. The pulmonologist thought there was a good chance that I had sleep apnea because the opening to my throat is small. But it's possible that it may not go away with losing weight. I hope sleep apnea is the reason why I wake up feeling unrested every single day and not just fibromyalgia. I would love to feel fully rested and not exhausted all the time.

I have a comorbidity!! Yayy!!

My in-home sleep study says I have severe sleep apnea and so now I need to get more stuff done at a sleep lab. I am looking forward to sleeping away from my nursing baby!! I can stretch out and rest!

So now I wait for a date for the DS.

Glad they found the apnea so it can be treated. Mine went away with DS, but that's not always the case. Once you get used to the CPAP it will be your best friend! Enjoy the night away. I breastfed my two children and the nights were exhausting!!!

Glad they found the apnea so it can be treated. Mine went away with DS, but that's not always the case. Once you get used to the CPAP it will be your best friend! Enjoy the night away. I breastfed my two children and the nights were exhausting!!!
Nights or days, I'm tired all the time so I can't wait for the CPAP. The sleep apnea might not go away with weightloss but the pulmonologist thought it would improve at least. He also said that people find that their fibromyalgia pain decreases! I can sleep and nurse the baby but she stirs a few times a night still and so I wake a little. More importantly I am looking forward to sleeping alone with NOBODY touching me!

Latest posts

Back