Ack! Nutritionist are such a pain!!

LizJ

Crazy Dog Mom!
I went to my PCP to run my labs for my 2 year anniversary of my DS. I'm currently fighting with him for iron infusions, he think my blood work is fine... (thank goodness my surgeons office will order one I go in next month.)

The nutritionist from my PCP office calls me to go over vitamins and what I should be taking. :cautious:
At first I was nice and asked her if she knew anything about my WLS and understood what vitamins I needed. She goes over that my iron is just a little low and that I need to take an iron supplement. :mad:
Trying to explain that I've tried three different irons that have been recommended and I got sick with all three, with one I couldn't go #2 for almost a week. She then goes over that I drank more water that wouldn't have happened. WTH:devilish: It took everything I had not to yell in the phone!:oops: I drink 96 fricken ounces of water daily plus another 20 ounces of liquid from my protein drinks. Did you even look at my food logs?? :mad: She back peddled a little then wanted to talk about why I was doing low carb, at that point I was done. I informed her that she didn't know enough about WLS to counsel me on vitamins or food and to please not call me again. She got pissed and said that they wouldn't be ordering any iron infusions for me. No problem I'll see my surgeon next month and he will... I need to talk to my PCP again about not having her call me.

Sorry to vent but no one else would really understand...

causes my head to shake - - - interesting to me that a PCP wanted to do a nut consult. Especially at 2 years out. I saw the nut in my surgeons office and that was ok but this would have whizzed me off too - especially if you are paying for it!

She got pissed and said that they wouldn't be ordering any iron infusions for me. No problem I'll see my surgeon next month and he will...
While my new PCP would refer, I’m extremely lucky the hematologists near where I am now (Western NC close to the SC line, hospital is in SC) allow self referral to a hematologist. I saw mine yesterday and yes, referred myself. Sent her a copy of my iron panel, plus told her she could look it up thru MyChart Central since the hospital that pulled the labs and the one she’s at are both MyChart hospitals. She took over from my first one who was a pain in the ass. This one is smart, understands the surgery, and is ordering my infusions. While my ferritin is still decent although dropping, it’s my Iron Sat % that’s bottomed out and has let my secondary RLS loss again, causing lack of sleep. I’ve also developed a mild case of Pica for ice.

I would definitely let your doctor know.

o_O
causes my head to shake - - - interesting to me that a PCP wanted to do a nut consult. Especially at 2 years out. I saw the nut in my surgeons office and that was ok but this would have whizzed me off too - especially if you are paying for it!
I was very surprised by her call. o_O I’ve surpassed all of their goals and only asked for an iron infusion as I can’t get into my surgeon until almost Thanksgiving. I’m willing to wait if I have to, just was trying to get it done before the holidays. I also left a message for my surgeon to see if I could speed things up. ;)

Latest posts

Back