A question if i may regarding smelly stool and gas

Ms M

Firstly i'm a revision surgery and am currently an RNY gastric bypass patient, My first question is what does one do to stop or minimize the foul smells of both gas and stool? i don't eat sugar alcohols or substitute sugars, I don't drink milk and minimize my carbs as well as don't eat extra fats I also take probiotics along with my supplements. what am i doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanking you in advance

HI Ms. M and welcome to the board! I can't help as I am a DS - your guts have a different configuration than mine so I leave your question for others that have the experience. For me and my switch, it is about what I eat. High carbs will really set off cramping, diarrhea and odor, odor, odor. Fat is my friend and I like her.

It could be that you need a different probiotic or a round of flagyl to kill the bacteria and then repopulate it with good bacteria using yogurt and a good probiotic. I would make sure, first, that it isn't c-diff or SIBO. IF your surgeon is still around, ask him...otherwise get with your PCP to rule out a gut infection.

Firstly i'm a revision surgery and am currently an RNY gastric bypass patient, My first question is what does one do to stop or minimize the foul smells of both gas and stool? i don't eat sugar alcohols or substitute sugars, I don't drink milk and minimize my carbs as well as don't eat extra fats I also take probiotics along with my supplements. what am i doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanking you in advance
Do you drink sodas or chew gum? Both increase gas enormously because you're actually swallowing gas (air in the case of chewing gum, and CO2 from soda). Another thought is to be more aware of when you need to have a bowel movement, and do so rather than waiting awhile. The old you may have had only 1 BM per day, while the new you may have 3,4, 5 per day. Don't fight it...resistance is futile!
:pooping on toilet smiley emoticon:

Don't worry so much about the BM's. Just spray a little poo-pouire before you go and a little Ozium after. The gas is more of an issue because, like any person, you will have that more frequently and at less convenient times. Sounds like you're already doing everything you can to prevent gas. But once you switch to DS it may change, hopefully for the better. In 5 months, I haven't been "caught" in a gas cloud, but it does take some subterfuge. Remember: never say "Do You smell that?" or give any indication it was you. Better to carry on and let them suspect, but never be able to pin it on you.

Hello all and thank you kindly for the warm welcome. Initially i was a lap band patient but due to slippage three times i was converted to DS Duodenal switch then due to the surgeon severing the vagus nerve and due to the DS sleeve narrowing in the middle and shaped like an hour glass which ended up giving me two pouches so to speak it had to be revised into a sort of RNY type surgery due to having issues with gastroparesis due to the severed vagus nerve and also bile reflux so now my anatomy is technically a gastrectomy whereby i don't really have a stomach as such nor a real pouch. I have been fine and had no issues for the first couple of years but am now experiencing the gas and issues. only this time my anatomy is not that of the DS nor is it a distal RNY but more so a Proximal RNY if that makes any sense.

Latest posts

Back