"9" days post op status report

BrianChesteen

Glad to be a Loser!
So far things are going so well that I feel guilty or worried that all heck may break loose!

I have been getting in 90-100+ oz of liquid and 75-90g of protein in a day. Most of the protein is coming from my protein shakes. Been staying under 50 carbs a day. (most of em are from the milk I make the shakes with)

I am able to tolerate skim & 1% milk just fine.

Yesterday I was out and about most of the day. Today I walked a mile on the treadmill. Plan to go to church tonight.

Incisions are all fully closed and healing very well. I still have some muscle burn just above my belly button. No pain meds however are needed.

Been sleeping all night for several nights.

For the past couple days, I have had at least one good BM a day with real stool. It is black as tar however.

So far, looks like Dr. Boyce did a good job on me. Please pray that I keep doing well!

They told me to expect it as Dr. Boyce mentioned to me post op that I had "More oozing of blood than normal apparently caused by residual Plavix in your system". I am on Lovenox shots now since surgery.

I chunked a bowl full of old brown blood on day 2 in the hospital but after that all was good.

I will report it however.

Asked and answered, you are doing great! Nice summary, awesome attitude. And dahlink, the oddity with poop and BMs is only just beginning :) It will work itself out eventually once you're further out, but right now these early weeks are all about healing and babying your new insides. Good job!

They told me to expect it as Dr. Boyce mentioned to me post op that I had "More oozing of blood than normal apparently caused by residual Plavix in your system". I am on Lovenox shots now since surgery.

I chunked a bowl full of old brown blood on day 2 in the hospital but after that all was good.

I will report it however.

Ok, sounds like you have it covered!

Oh my Gosh Brian, I am so stickin jealous! Okay, okay over it....How wonderful you are doing so great but please don't push it. We want to keep getting these dang amazing reports! Really we do...really

Yay you, so far so good!

Remember: Don't be surprised if your sensations or tolerances take a downward turn in the next couple weeks. That's normal as you heal....Not a HUGE downward spiral, just feeling stuff more or your belly getting cranky. More nerves are connecting and communicating, and that can mean a little more discomfort.

Sounds like you are doing well! Do me a favor and call your Dr to report the black stools. It's probably nothing but call anyway, it CAN be a sign of bleeding in the stomach or upper GI system.

@SHales

Since I have been feeling so good, I sent a PM to my surgeon's office right before heading out for errands and to go to church. In the middle of church, I got a call from a strange number. It was one of the Bariatric RN's calling to check up on my report. She left a message and told me to check my PM's and I did. She was very thorough in her questions and based on what she said and my current condition, pretty sure this is just old surgery blood working its way out of the system.

She wants me to call her in the morning just to talk person to person to be sure she feels good about it.

She also said that if my condition changed or anything abnormal occurs to don't waste time getting to the ER or if I had any concerns whatsoever to call the 24hr emergency number.

So glad that it seems my surgeon's office appears to be on top of the post surgical followup! I can't imagine living the nightmare that @Charris is going thru with her family member!

@SHales

Since I have been feeling so good, I sent a PM to my surgeon's office right before heading out for errands and to go to church. In the middle of church, I got a call from a strange number. It was one of the Bariatric RN's calling to check up on my report. She left a message and told me to check my PM's and I did. She was very thorough in her questions and based on what she said and my current condition, pretty sure this is just old surgery blood working its way out of the system.

She wants me to call her in the morning just to talk person to person to be sure she feels good about it.

She also said that if my condition changed or anything abnormal occurs to don't waste time getting to the ER or if I had any concerns whatsoever to call the 24hr emergency number.

So glad that it seems my surgeon's office appears to be on top of the post surgical followup! I can't imagine living the nightmare that @Charris is going thru with her family member!

They are on top of things! So are you. :) This eases my mind so thanks for the report.

They are on top of things! So are you. :) This eases my mind so thanks for the report.
@SHales ,

The nurse called me back today and ran it all by the surgeon. They faxed a blood test order to my local Tennova to check my hemoglobin and hematocrit against the labs on discharge day. They just want to be triple sure of no bleeders! Glad they are being so thorough!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back