20 weeks out report...

BrianChesteen

Glad to be a Loser!
20 Weeks out and all is well.

Down 107lbs

Jogging is my new drug of choice. I was never a runner. Even when I was in the Army, I always just barely met the minimum standards. Now I can't stand it if I don't get to run at least 5 days a week.

Yesterday I ran my first official 5K race which was for the Wounded Warrior Project. I finished in 35:54:00 which is not fast for a runner but it is fast for me and where I started from.... I could not ride the elevator up one story before surgery without getting winded so I have made some significant progress in that regard.

For my first race a friend who had the RNY a few years ago suggested that I request the bib # that corresponded to the weight I was prior to surgery. The running club honored that request:

2wmesys.jpg

Here my wife and I are after the race:

2z8p6k0.jpg

I totally enjoyed passing all those skinny mini people that look like they were in great shape but were not in reality!

A NSV for me was a recent pic snapped by a friend with me standing beside his 16yo son who is tall and slim and in excellent shape:

mltgm0.jpg

Hard to imagine where I was just a little over 4 months ago!

1zf7plu.jpg

PCP is taking over more and more now as the cutter's office backs off. They had me do some labs a few weeks ago and all is well. My total cholesterol is 104 and my triglycerides are normal for the first time in my life. Iron is slowly creeping up and everything else they checked looked great. I will be getting a full set of labs at 6 months out.

My BP medicine has been cut by 75% and I hope to get off of it completely soon. The cardiologist finally decided to take me off of Plavix almost 6 years post stents. Had to go back on Allopurinol and Colcrys due to gout issues.

Eating is slowly returning to a normal carb restricted diet. Getting my protein in can be a challenge sometimes. I had to add more carbs back to my diet due to the amount of cardio exercise I have been doing. I have been averaging 16-18 miles a week and staying below 50 grams a day was not sustainable at that level of exercise. (low energy and the smell of ammonia in sweat)

Still on the modified VL supplement plan. Going good with no issues that I am aware of.

Sorry I am not posting more but I do read many of the post on here. Congrats to all of you that are working hard to succeed with your WLS!

Oh, I almost forgot...

The weight loss has really slowed down from 4-5 lbs a week to more like 2. The last three weeks have all been 2 lb weeks. I am starting to see the effects of the reverse exponential curve!

Oh, I almost forgot...

The weight loss has really slowed down from 4-5 lbs a week to more like 2. The last three weeks have all been 2 lb weeks. I am starting to see the effects of the reverse exponential curve!
Slow and steady works! And the weight loss DOES slow down. And even stops at times...but keep to it, esp the first two years. Mine was a stair step down and I even had two months where I gained a lb or so before dropping again. Then I stopped for over 5 months.

Way to go Brian! Whenever I do an event (like a Fitness Challenge at work or walking a 5k--my knees won't allow me to run--) I always think of the adage "slow and steady wins the race." I may not be the fastest but I am able to finish which is more than I could do four years ago. Congrats!

You are doing fantastic!! I bet the slow down on the weight loss could be a due to some increase in muscle with all the running, just my guess. 107 lbs. in 5 months is amazing. I like that idea on the bib number.

Latest posts

Back