1 month post DS - changes in menstruation question

Skyli

I've had an IUD (Mirena) for 3 years. Since getting it my periods have been 1 to 3 days and so light I rarely even need to wear a pad. I didn't really ever have cramps, but did have ovulation pain sometimes.

I'm in the middle of my first period since surgery. I had to go and buy tampons for the first time in 3 years because my flow is so heavy. Its been 3 days and shows no sign of slowing down. I left work early yesterday thinking I'd eaten something wrong or too fast. It was actually cramps. (I feel like I'm still learning my new digestive system, I didn't think the pain was from my reproductive system!)

I have had my first set of labs since surgery. Everything was fine (elevated liver enzymes, but all my vitamins levels are good).

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any ideas why? Should I follow up with my gyno?

My period is so far still lighter than it was before I was on any kind of birth control.

I'm on my second Mirena (2011 & 2016). I had anovulatory PCOS even before the IUDs so I was used to not ever actually menstruating but instead having some light bleeding every few months when there was too much lining to sustain. After the IUDs, that stopped.

I was shocked to actually have periods, especially regular ones, immediately after surgery. Almost 4 months out and still going strong. Flow is definitely heavier than I'm used to also, so I think it might be normal. My doctors didn't seem worried about it, at least.

I also have a Mirena. My periods did make a reappearance after surgery and were heavier than I had with a Mirena before, but now 2+ years out are back to light and on a long(ish) regular cycle.

Elevated liver enzymes are common during the fast weight loss phase. The periods are normal too. Many of us had some degree of PCOS, diagnosed or not and your body is finding it's new normal.

Also on mirena and had heavier than normal periods. I freaked out and went to the vagologist but she didn't seem worried. She said to track the actual cycle and if it's less than 21 days, then it should be worrisome.

Latest posts

Back