Yogurt....which one?????

MamaShelia

Hey Y'all,

Which yogurt is best for early days out? I looked at Dannon Greek and Fage, but both had higher carb counts, 9 and 16 respectively I think, of course that's for a 1/4 cup and I pray it is a whiiiiillllleeee before I can eat a 1/4 cup of ANYthing post op! :p

So, what's a good yogurt for high protein, measurable probiotic count, and low carbohydrates? What do/did you use?

Thanks!

Shelia

Have you had your surgery yet? Sorry, I forget

If you have not had surgery yet DO NOT buy a bunch of anything. Just play it by ear because tastes are really off after surgery and you just don't know how things will taste ...so you don't want to get stuck with a bunch of stuff that goes uneaten.

As far as carb counts go....you are going to have a hard time getting a 1/4 cup down so don't worry about 9 or 16 carbs. Early out carb count isn't important because you are not going to be getting in much nutrition wise. Whatever tastes good and has good protein count.

The greek stuff has higher protein counts

Have you had your surgery yet? Sorry, I forget

If you have not had surgery yet DO NOT buy a bunch of anything. Just play it by ear because tastes are really off after surgery and you just don't know how things will taste ...so you don't want to get stuck with a bunch of stuff that goes uneaten.

As far as carb counts go....you are going to have a hard time getting a 1/4 cup down so don't worry about 9 or 16 carbs. Early out carb count isn't important because you are not going to be getting in much nutrition wise. Whatever tastes good and has good protein count.

The greek stuff has higher protein counts

Nope, I am still pre-op. I go in next Wednesday. I am revision from RNY (2000) to DS, so not sure what my weight loss will look like, but am hopeful, that by staying the course, the surgery will do its thing!

Yeah, I don't like Greek yogurt right now, at all, so hope that changes! I was just looking at stuff. I won't buy a lot, but I sort of wanted to look at brands because the surgery is out of town and my son will be my primary caregiver when DH ad I return, so just to be able to tell him, Sams Club has yada yada, and Kroger has such and such.

Just nesting a bit---preparing as much as I can so no one will have to do a lot of running around. However, I realize that no matter how I prepare, I may not need/want/ be able to eat/drink/swallow anything of it. ;)

A "good" anxiousness of sorts, I reckon!

Thanks for the reminder!

I use the light and fit Greek 80 calories. I like the flavors offered, post op I add some heavy cream to get the fat content up. I can not find any low calorie full fat preflavored type. If I buy plain my favorite is Fage total full fat.

I use the light and fit Greek 80 calories. I like the flavors offered, post op I add some heavy cream to get the fat content up. I can not find any low calorie full fat preflavored type. If I buy plain my favorite is Fage total full fat.

Thanks DS Fan! I will keep that in mind.

I get the Costco brand, cheaper than Chobani and I like the flavor options. There is always ONE flavor in the Chobani (15 pack) that I do not like. I eat a yogurt every morning as part of my first breakfast.

I get the Costco brand, cheaper than Chobani and I like the flavor options. There is always ONE flavor in the Chobani (15 pack) that I do not like. I eat a yogurt every morning as part of my first breakfast.

Southern Lady, that is also good to know. The rest of my family likes Greek yogurt, so nothing should go to waste! :thumbsup: I think Valerie on OH does a daily yogurt as well, and I want to try to make it a part of my routine, when the time comes.

Nope, I am still pre-op. I go in next Wednesday. I am revision from RNY (2000) to DS, so not sure what my weight loss will look like, but am hopeful, that by staying the course, the surgery will do its thing!

Yeah, I don't like Greek yogurt right now, at all, so hope that changes! I was just looking at stuff. I won't buy a lot, but I sort of wanted to look at brands because the surgery is out of town and my son will be my primary caregiver when DH ad I return, so just to be able to tell him, Sams Club has yada yada, and Kroger has such and such.

Just nesting a bit---preparing as much as I can so no one will have to do a lot of running around. However, I realize that no matter how I prepare, I may not need/want/ be able to eat/drink/swallow anything of it. ;)

A "good" anxiousness of sorts, I reckon!

Thanks for the reminder!
Oh believe me I understand. I think most of us had the same idea before surgery as well.
I have to ask. Why do you want low calorie? DS'rs don't need to worry about calories. Our main concern is getting protein and proper hydration.

Southern Lady, that is also good to know. The rest of my family likes Greek yogurt, so nothing should go to waste! :thumbsup: I think Valerie on OH does a daily yogurt as well, and I want to try to make it a part of my routine, when the time comes.
I wish I liked yogurt better but it has too tart of a taste for me to eat much of it. I will eat a cup or two over a week and then it will months before I have the desire to have any again. That being said, if you like the stuff it is a good source of easy to eat protein (not real dense).

Oh believe me I understand. I think most of us had the same idea before surgery as well.

I have to ask. Why do you want low calorie? DS'rs don't need to worry about calories. Our main concern is getting protein and proper hydration.

Because the others are FULL of sugar. I do watch my sugar intake and overall carbs. I'm not worried about calories, hence why I add HWC for fat which is not low calorie at all.

I wish I liked yogurt better but it has too tart of a taste for me to eat much of it. I will eat a cup or two over a week and then it will months before I have the desire to have any again. That being said, if you like the stuff it is a good source of easy to eat protein (not real dense).

I am with you, I have never liked yogurt except the Yoplait light and it has practically no protein so, I don't bother. I would rather down a protein shake.

I hate yogurt. I hated before surgery and I hate it after surgery. I make myself consume an Oikos Triple Zero Greek Yogurt everyday just for the protein. I usually have to put some Equal and eat in two settings, but I get it in.

I hate yogurt. I hated before surgery and I hate it after surgery. I make myself consume an Oikos Triple Zero Greek Yogurt everyday just for the protein. I usually have to put some Equal and eat in two settings, but I get it in.
Maybe add some HWC to add fat to it???

Latest posts

Back