yogurt survey

Fage Total (full fat greek yogurt). I eat it plain with a spoonful of low sugar strawberry preserve. Or with a few drops of liquid splenda and a couple drops of vanilla.

Thanks KathyF
Do you know how many carbs or grams of sugar? Any other favorites from the other yogurt lovers?
Kirkland Greek plain. Read the labels yourself online or in person. I add some heavy cream to it. You can add sugar free flavoring syrups if you like, or stir in a bit of sugar free beverage powder of choice.

Since DSers don't dump like RNYers, why the sugar aversion? Simply for keeping the weight off? Or do most people still have bad reactions to sugar anyway, even without the same kind of dumping? I do understand that there's no malabsorption of simple carbs.

YMMV. I routinely use real sugar vs. artificial sweeteners, though used Equal when I was SMO. I couldn't tolerate the taste of artificial sweeteners shortly after DS, plus real sugar actually helps forestall fainting issues from low blood sugar and low blood pressure. I don't seek it out or eat it in mass quantity (other than the fully-leaded gatorade my PCP has me on to prevent fainting, I guess), but I do use a spoonful in my coffee, yogurt, etc.

I think most DS'ers avoid sugar, especially early on to maximize and retain weight loss results.

Of the low calorie sweeteners, normies and DSers alike can experience bloating and diarrhea from sugar alcohols (e.g. mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol, lactitol, isomalt, maltitol and hydrogenated starch hydrolysates (HSH)). I avoid these like the plague...

As to yogurt, my favorite treat, though it only has 6g of protein, is Maple Hill Creamery, Cream on Top Maple Flavor. Yum! I usually eat whatever full fat pre-flavored Greek yogurt with the highest protein count that I kind find on the shelf at the time. Hard to find full fat...

Last edited:
I avoided everything with sweetners at first while I was losing. I mostly ate the Fage 2% with the add-ins and would add them sparingly. Now that I don't care (and would like to gain a few pounds honestly), I'm eating Yoplait Greek tangerine. My family likes the Yoplait Greek 100 Strawberry Cheesecake or Key Lime. I went through a phase of eating nothing but the Chobani Key Lime crumble. I tend to get stuck on a flavor and then eat it until I tire of it.

With yogurt, I use the full fat, carbs be damned. I do mentally count the carbs I use but I don't freak out over it.

If I use plain, I add honey.

I don't really care for the SF syrups. Only artificial sweetener I am comfortable using is Splenda and only cause I have used it for closing on 20 years. I have tried Stevia/Truvia, etc and can't get past the aftertaste. JUST HORRID!

I always have a sweet version and a savory version in the fridge. Full fat plain Fage when I can find it. For the sweet like Kathy, I add low sugar preserves or fresh berries. Savory has garlic paste I make in a mortar and pestle with salt, then add fresh dill and minced cucumber. The longer it sits, the better it tastes! I use this as a sauce for many things. My own version of tzatziki.

I guess i was told low carb high protein only...
So now a bit confused....is this the yogurts you have had through whole weight loss period as well? I was wondering if artificial sweetening might be messing with my digestive track.
Shifty out

I try to get whichever brand has full fat, those usually have the lowest carbs, some are better than others so you have to compare labels. If I'm not mistaken, it think krogers has a carb smart yogurt that has a little lower carbs and higher protein than most. Oh, and the Greek yogurts are usually the ones that have more protein than traditional style and they're thicker & creamier. I'm like @Bagaof4 I prefer to mix in garlic, salt, dill, mint, olive oil, grated cucumbers and a little cumin & oregano. I have troubles with finding artificial flavorings that I like and don't hurt my tummy (the syrups I love, but KILL me with bloat) so I'd rather eat the tzatziki style with chicken, steak, veggies or just a spoon! You could also beat in sugar free pudding mix for a mousse-ish feel.

I guess i was told low carb high protein only...
So now a bit confused....is this the yogurts you have had through whole weight loss period as well? I was wondering if artificial sweetening might be messing with my digestive track.
Shifty out
You could try staying away from artificial sweeteners for a week and see what happens. Low carb is nice but milk carbs (yogurt is milk) are the kind of carbs we don't really avoid. Avoid bread type carbs. The closer to the animal the carb is, the better.

I find as high protein and fat / lowest carb plain Greek yogurt available, and get a tub of it. Today my walmart had full fat "traditional" Oikos Greek, lower carb and higher protein than similar Chobani.

I go for sweet. 1/4 cup yogurt, 3-4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, and sugar free pudding mix to taste (I love the cheesecake and the white chocolate versions). Mix and enjoy. Perfect texture and filling sweet treat.

I also sometimes use this as a way to hide my miralax if needed.

Latest posts

Back