Yogurt increases Bone Density

KathrynK

Plain yogurt gives the live probiotics that help me with gas, so I eat it on most days. At age 66, bone density is also important. The NY Times has an interesting study that found yogurt was better than milk in increasing bone density. Researchers tracked 4,310 Irish adults 60 and older, gathering information on diet and lifestyle with questionnaires. They measured bone density and joint deterioration with X-rays and M.R.I. And, they compared with those who were not yogurt eaters, and found people who ate yogurt daily had a 3% to 4% increase in bone mineral density. Eating yogurt daily was associated with a 39% lower risk of osteoporosis in women and a 52% lower risk in men compared with those who did not eat yogurt. Yogurt eaters also performed better on tests of physical fitness. The researcher noted that other dairy products did not produce a similar effect and cautioned that some yogurts are high in sugar, “so we have to be careful about that." The study is in Osteoporosis International.
Plain yogurt can be made more interesting with fresh fruit.

Plain yogurt gives the live probiotics that help me with gas, so I eat it on most days. At age 66, bone density is also important. The NY Times has an interesting study that found yogurt was better than milk in increasing bone density. Researchers tracked 4,310 Irish adults 60 and older, gathering information on diet and lifestyle with questionnaires. They measured bone density and joint deterioration with X-rays and M.R.I. And, they compared with those who were not yogurt eaters, and found people who ate yogurt daily had a 3% to 4% increase in bone mineral density. Eating yogurt daily was associated with a 39% lower risk of osteoporosis in women and a 52% lower risk in men compared with those who did not eat yogurt. Yogurt eaters also performed better on tests of physical fitness. The researcher noted that other dairy products did not produce a similar effect and cautioned that some yogurts are high in sugar, “so we have to be careful about that." The study is in Osteoporosis International.
Plain yogurt can be made more interesting with fresh fruit.
Yogurt has been a main food for first breakfast since I had my DS.

Wish I could stand the stuff but I can't stand the whole spoiled milk thing.

Was this a DS development? I can't stand the spoiled milk thing either. What's weird is that some foods make me sick and I get to looking at the ingredients and every one of them have buttermilk in them.

Was this a DS development? I can't stand the spoiled milk thing either. What's weird is that some foods make me sick and I get to looking at the ingredients and every one of them have buttermilk in them.

Not for me. I just don't like most spoiled or fermented foods and never have. 1 exception, clotted cream. Yum!

Latest posts

Back