WTF? I still have my lap-band port!

Felicity

Hi! It's been almost a year since I have been on here - in my case, no news has been generally good news.
I'm now at 1 year and 3 months post-op and down over 100lb. I'm still about 55lb from my goal weight and still losing steadily! I decided to go ahead and have my excess abdominal skin removed back in November. (I know I might need it done again when I get to my goal weight, but the amount of skin was such a hinderance - I felt like I had to do it.)

ANYWAY. After my abdominoplasty, my plastic surgeon told me that my lap-band port was still there and it prevented him from doing as much lipo on my upper abdomen as he would have liked. Because he didn't have knowledge of this prior to surgery, he said he couldn't just remove it. He does quite a lot of surgery on weight loss patients, and he said he had never seen a 'leftover' port before.

Have any other lap-band revision people learned that a piece of their band is still inside of them? Should I be calling a lawyer?

:helpsmiley:

I never had a lap band so can't answer your question about other people's experience, but would recommend that you get it removed. Any bariatric surgeon or general surgeon should be able to remove it. Just find out first whether or not the tubing is still there as well. The operative report from the lap band removal should have that information.

I had a poke around my stomach just to double check, but I can't feel mine (I used to be able to feel it quite clearly!).

I made my surgeon give me my lap band so I could make it my bitch ! That thing tortured me for 4 years. I wanted it in my hands. Had to go through pathology but it's mine!
Also, after three flipped ports I still have an issue with pain at the site.

Forgot to add; when they took my lap band out, they took the whole thing. Port and all.

Geez, I wouldn't want a bad surgeon to cut me open again. I'd rather get a cash settlement and go somewhere else.
You may well be right. If he wasn't bright enough to remove the whole lapband there's probably a whole world of stuff he should know that he doesn't know.

You may well be right. If he wasn't bright enough to remove the whole lapband there's probably a whole world of stuff he should know that he doesn't know.
I am very surprised I have not had any major complications, honestly. I was warned beforehand by @DianaCox and others to see a more reputable surgeon/team, but I decided that since I was so close to my surgery date that I was going to move forward. I consider myself lucky - now finding out he didn't even remove the entire lap-band, I am wondering how much worse it could have gone other than the really poor pain management help after surgery. Since I am potentially going to be taking legal action, I will not mention the name here, but I am pretty sure my surgeon left the practice to open his own and the original practice isn't doing so well (if not answering their phone all week is any sign).
I think I will be getting legal counsel sooner rather than later... I thankfully enrolled in legal insurance through my employer this year, so I think it's time to see how this benefit works!

I don't have anything of substance to add to what has already been said, but I am sorry you had to and are going through this. It is absolutely unacceptable. At a minimum the surgeon owed you an explanation at the time of surgery as to why the port wasn't removed. Maybe there was a legitimate reason, although I wouldn't think a port would be near anything vital that could have rendered it too risky to remove....but I doubt it. Sounds to me like the putz simply forgot it. I would at a minimum talk to an attorney to see if you do have a case (I would think you do).

Best wishes.

I can only say that I'm so sorry you have had this experience. I wish you the best.

BTW if you are not familiar with the legal system, it will likely be years before it goes to trial with our crowded courts. That doesn't mean you can't have it removed by another surgeon now but you'll have to pay for it on your own until a settlement or verdict is reached.

When you get your lab report it will be interesting if he compounds his incompetence by saying he DID remove it.

Latest posts

Back