Won't lose weight with VSG to DS revision?

MissSteppy

Hello,

Just continuing to do research here and I've read a few times that it is the Sleeve portion of the surgery that allows for weight loss and the Switch portion that helps with co morbidities and keeping the weight off. Does that mean someone like me who still has 100lbs to lose and no co morbidities shouldn't bother with a VSG to DS revision?

Thanks for your help

Tanya

Hello,

Just continuing to do research here and I've read a few times that it is the Sleeve portion of the surgery that allows for weight loss and the Switch portion that helps with co morbidities and keeping the weight off. Does that mean someone like me who still has 100lbs to lose and no co morbidities shouldn't bother with a VSG to DS revision?

Thanks for your help

Tanya
Not what it means at all. What it does mean is that if you stay a VSGer, you will be forever on a diet to maintain your current loss.

Revisions still lose, maybe not as fast but they still lose.

Not what it means at all. What it does mean is that if you stay a VSGer, you will be forever on a diet to maintain your current loss.

Revisions still lose, maybe not as fast but they still lose.

Ok thank you for clarifying. I thought maybe I misunderstood the reasons why people were having VSG to DS revisions to begin with. Back to my research!

The VSG is just another diet with a smaller stomach. The DS adds malabsorbtion into the mix.

I have know quite a few 2 part DSers who have lost all the weight but I think they had to work harder at it than the virgin DSers.

Hello,

Thanks for your help

Tanya
When I was researching, I'd read that as well, by a few people on different forums including this one. It can be confusing but go with @southernlady said bc it's closer to what Im experiencing after my revision
. My surgeon told me I'd have to return to a low carb/keto diet to jumpstart my weight loss-true! He said the DS would be more forgiving than the VSG if I slip-Truer!! The doctor also warned that the weight loss after revision is slower than as a virgin DS-TRUEST!!! Most VSG to Dsers say that the rate of weight loss is abt half that of virgin DS
For example, Ive lost abt 45 pounds in 5 months since my revision . Many virgin DS patients thst Ive met (including my hubby) have lost close to 100 pounds in 6 months or less. Now of course some do better, some do worse on either side of the equation. Regardlesss, i think it's worth it to at least consider a revision. Good luck!

When I was researching, I'd read that as well, by a few people on different forums including this one. It can be confusing but go with @southernlady said bc it's closer to what Im experiencing after my revision
. My surgeon told me I'd have to return to a low carb/keto diet to jumpstart my weight loss-true! He said the DS would be more forgiving than the VSG if I slip-Truer!! The doctor also warned that the weight loss after revision is slower than as a virgin DS-TRUEST!!! Most VSG to Dsers say that the rate of weight loss is abt half that of virgin DS
For example, Ive lost abt 45 pounds in 5 months since my revision . Many virgin DS patients thst Ive met (including my hubby) have lost close to 100 pounds in 6 months or less. Now of course some do better, some do worse on either side of the equation. Regardlesss, i think it's worth it to at least consider a revision. Good luck!

I have heard that revisions are slower so I'm prepared for that. Thank you for sharing your experience. Like many, I'm concerned about keeping the weight off long term, something I could not do with the VSG.

A LOT of that is also dependent on how much a person has to lose in the first place. It's more about percentage of weight loss than pounds loss. http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/its-not-pounds-its-percentages.1844/

Latest posts

Back