Why is the weight loss slower when having a revision to DS?

OrganicLife

I've seen this statement a few times....the weight loss will be slower after having the 2nd part of the DS done. The weight loss goes faster (or more weight comes off) with a full DS all at once.

Is there a medical reason as to why this happens? What happens if you have a resleeve and the DS? Does that make the difference?

Well, I suspect it's because if you have a sleeve, you already have had the benefit from that surgery. But will leave it to others to explain further.

I have no idea medically why it happens. I am a distal rny to DS revision. I lost an average of 10 pounds a month. I would guess it would be slower because you already had something in place to loose weight whereas wlhen its new its new to the body and it doesn't get tlhat virgin jump start anymore.

(1) Synergistic interactions between the stomach restriction and metabolic effects of the intestinal rearrangements.

(2) The first surgery is essentially just another diet that damages your metabolism even more than the ones that went before it. Every diet/restrictive surgery is seen by your body as a famine, that sends the signal to slow down your metabolism, hoard every calorie that you eat, and divert any excess energy beyond the minimal amount that your new lower metabolic rate demand into fat deposition. Normal people get rid of excess calories by not absorbing them or burning them off as heat in metabolically active brown fat cells - obese people have FAR less brown fat.

THINK TWICE, CUT ONCE.

I've seen this statement a few times....the weight loss will be slower after having the 2nd part of the DS done. The weight loss goes faster (or more weight comes off) with a full DS all at once.

Is there a medical reason as to why this happens? What happens if you have a resleeve and the DS? Does that make the difference?
Resleeve can actually cause issues like stricture and you don't want that. I am not convinced it would help either but I suppose it would give some of the synergy Diana mentioned. I simply think that the risk of medical problems outweigh any potential benefit unless your stomach 15 oz or more. ..but that is just me.

Latest posts

Back