Why does poop float?

huneypie

Wannabe
Well you know the saying 'the bottom has dropped out of my world' well after today, I feel like 'the world has dropped out of...' well you get the idea. :X3:

Anyway, it got me thinking as there was so much above the waterline, it has to be floating - it looked like this on the water :poop:

Anyway, I had to go and Google and I found that the reason poop floats is due to gas according to this article and I particularly enjoyed this little extract:

"Then the intrepid investigators (and they must have been intrepid for this one), had to TEST the poop to see if it REALLY floated, so they took a piece of each person's poop and put it in some water and checked (you'd think they could just have checked the toilet bowl, but no). Then, they assessed the density of the dung, with classically scientific methods."

http://scientopia.org/blogs/scicurious/2013/05/03/friday-weird-science-fatty-feces-or-gassy-guano/

It is a buy product of gallbladder removal that we get floating ghost turds. This is due to fat however in a normal person I would conclude that methane is the culprit.

Weird. I have had poo where some bits float and some sink, same poo. Yes, there are days I notice this.. nevermind, I always have to check.

Yeah, I don't care what the paper says. It's fat that makes it float. If it was air, the air would escape. Poop is a solid, and I for one take enough GasX to separate the air out of my poop. It's fat.

What people forget when reading "studies" is that those studies are done on normal people. Which WE are NOT.

Latest posts

Back