Why am I repulsed by eggs???

LindaDarnell

I used to love eggs....prepared almost any way. Great option for low carb plans. However, 5 years ago when I had my vsg, I couldn't tolerate them, except boiled. After a bite or 2, I'd become nauseated. My dr at the time thought it may be related to issues I was having with gallstones. We hoped it would resolve once my gall bladder was removed, but unfortunately not. So I could only eat them boiled...which was disappointing but fine bc i still had a quick snack and breakfast option.
Now that ive had the DS, my egg tolerance has gotten worse! Now i cant even tolerate them boiled!!! I only eat the egg whites of a boiled (dont like yolks), and now it makes me nauseated to my core! So now there is no form of eggs i can tolerate.

I know some people go through this "egg repulsion" postop after vsg or ds. Do we know why??

I think it's just a mystery that we may never understand. It may not even be related to surgery. I know people whose tastes have changed without having had surgery.

If it doesn't resolve, I hope you can find another go-to snack and breakfast option.

Well before the DS (but after the band) I was seriously into paleo eating and functional fitness (I was never fit enough for Crossfit itself!). I would eat eggs daily, until one day they just made my stomach turn any time I ate one. I never found an exact reason, but it seemed from what I read around the joints that you could develop a sensitivity to some of the proteins in eggs. I didn't eat them for a couple of years, and now I'm fine with them again. Not at all scientific, but my experience!

I could not tolerate eggs for many months after the DS and around month 6 or so the problem seemed to resolve. I can eat 2 eggs now without stomach upset but am really stuffed after eating them. The good thing is there are many lots of other protein options available.

Latest posts

Back