When did you try these foods?

Amie!!!! How are you feeling? I am so glad to see you up and about, lol. At least on here. How did everything go? I leave for SLC on Tuesday, I would love to know anything you care to share.

Hi NA,

Your surgery is so close! I'm keeping you in my thoughts. I've been doing great since surgery. I've been off pain meds completely for a week and my incisions are closing nicely. My right side drain incision is still open but I hope it'll close soon. Nothing hurts though so I'm glad lol. The only thing that has really bugged me is my nose oddly enough. I think it got scratched when I was under. Other then that everything has been really going well and textbook healing wise. I loved the staff at St. Marks as well. The nurses were awesome! If you have any questions at all, please let me know. I'm happy to help :) Dr. Simper is awesome and I'm really glad I went with him.

Corn...basically leaves the body the same way it went in...but about 6 months out.
That is disturbing enough to make me avoid corn. I don't eat it much even now, plus it's all carbs, but still... I don't want to see bright yellow corn in my poop.
Though I'm sure my poo will startle me plenty after surgery. Just be ready for a poop thread in about a month. Lol.

That is disturbing enough to make me avoid corn. I don't eat it much even now, plus it's all carbs, but still... I don't want to see bright yellow corn in my poop.
Though I'm sure my poo will startle me plenty after surgery. Just be ready for a poop thread in about a month. Lol.
I don't know if you realize it but corn does that even PRE-OP!

(Scones have been quite unpleasant BTW)
It is all just trial and error. You will need to take it slowly and listen to what your body tolerates. I am thrilled that I don't have to deny myself the things I love!!!!

I will mourn scones! :unsure:

Hi NA,

Your surgery is so close! I'm keeping you in my thoughts. I've been doing great since surgery. I've been off pain meds completely for a week and my incisions are closing nicely. My right side drain incision is still open but I hope it'll close soon. Nothing hurts though so I'm glad lol. The only thing that has really bugged me is my nose oddly enough. I think it got scratched when I was under. Other then that everything has been really going well and textbook healing wise. I loved the staff at St. Marks as well. The nurses were awesome! If you have any questions at all, please let me know. I'm happy to help :) Dr. Simper is awesome and I'm really glad I went with him.

Oh, thank you for the fabulous update! I am so glad to know all of that! I hope you keep feeling better and better.

Anything tomato based was evil for about a year. Ditto anything potato based.

Corn hulls still appear whole in my poop. Contents deleted LOL.

I always smile when I see these posts, because I remember when I was having my first bariatric surgery in 2002, I wondered about this and many other things too. Like, what if I can't ever have my favorite things again, like margaritas, chips and salsa, and so on. Largely - barring whatever doesn't agree with you and there's only one way you'll find out - you'll be able to eat most of your list in moderation. As long as too, none of it's the kind of food that makes you an eating machine, I have that problem personally with starchy carbs (addictive/emotonale eating), so I have to really watch it. I also want to throw out there that after surgery, you might not crave some of these things as much as you think, and/or your taste buds will change. Or you'll find that there are really delicious alternative ways to eat some of these things that don't send you to the bathroom. I'm a revision, but after my first 12 weeks, I was able to approach a fuller range of DS lifestyle-centric eating.

I'd say most of your list you'll be able to do the same, after first 12 weeks - some items before. As a lifestyle, you'll be able to eat them in moderation. But while you're getting started, in your recovery and maximum weight loss window, you can find a lot of easy alternatives.

Orange Chicken (Panda Express or otherwise, doesn't matter) , Fried Chicken - I'm putting these two together because they are essentially the same thing - heavily breaded chicken, sweet/sugary orange sauce for the orange sauce. If you tolerate chicken ok, and in this form might work well because it's deep fried and moist, then as soon as you're cleared for more dense proteins. I do like chicken tenders, and favors those over the rest, since they are breaded much more lightly.

Wheat Thins and Chikin in a Biscuit crackers (my all time favorite crackers) - you'll probably be able to eat these pretty quickly, once you're cleared for soft foods. Crackers are often suggested as a bread alternative because they are lighter and less filling. Which also means we can eat a LOT of them. I switched to soy flaxseed tortilla chips from Trader Joes and they became my go-to for everything. I also bought brown rice and edamame cracker, really good, savory, crunchy.

Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi(I'll admit I'm no addict but I like the taste once in a while) I lOVE diet coke and used to drink a six pack in my MO (moribid obesity) days. I first tried one about 2 months out - the carbonation hurt, I had to drink it on a lot of ice and slowly, not through a straw. Not much longer after that it was fine, and today I still have one a day.

Chef Salad - you'll be able to eat this fairly quickly as well once you're cleared for soft foods. Deli meat is a common recommendation because it's lighter and easier to digest while still in the earlier post-op recovery. The trouble with salads for us is that we have the limited stomach real estate. So before, where it was a good idea to load up on lettuce to 'fill-up', now the opposite is true. But this can be total DS delight - you load up on the meats, cheeses, eggs, and just use the lettuce sparingly, like a condiment instead of the main event. You get the satisfaction of the taste and crunch, but you fill up on the protein. And certainly, further out, the volume will increase.

Fried Rice, corn, back bean rice burritos - same, I'd say after 3 months if not before. But, I just look at that list and contemplate how long I'll be in the bathroom :) Rice doesn't bother me as much; but corn, white flour tortillas kill me. Early post op I also used low carb tortillas for 'bread' - easy to make at home, eat with beans and cheese, you might just want to skip the rice-double carbing.

Teriyaki Chicken, turkey steak -same, once your cleared for denser proteins you'll just see how these agree with you. I actually did better with red meat because of the higher moisture/fat content; and while I'm not traditionally a dark meat person, ate drumsticks for awhile, they tasted delicious, and same, they were more moist. I made them teryaki or bbq style, with wings too. No guilt about the skin!

Ice Cream - ah, it's been fun to return to eating full fat, regular ice cream. This is something you'll be able to eat quickly, soft, easy; but caution that full dairy in the early recovery can be very hard on a recovering GI system, espeically one that's been sliced and diced like we have. The fat content not an issue, sugar/carb count can be. It's one of the reasons the infamous 'fluff' recipe (cottage cheese/cool whip/sf pudding mix) is so popular as a protein fill in, and so is greek yogurt, with some sf pudding mix powder, or a scoop of chocolate protein powder, some non-dairy flavored creamer, delish, like pudding ice cream.

Orange Chicken (Panda Express or otherwise, doesn't matter) 6 months
Wheat Thins and Chikin in a Biscuit crackers (my all time favorite crackers) 2 months
Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi(I'll admit I'm no addict but I like the taste once in a while) I had real full sugar Mexican COKE 8 months
Chef Salad 8 months Without lettuce still do not tollerate lettuce
Fried Chicken (Homemade or restaurant, doesn't matter) 8 months
Fried Rice 8 months
Teriyaki Chicken 6 months
Ice Cream Have not tried it yet
Turkey Steak Not sure what this is
Corn Have not tried it yet
Black bean and rice burritos (thinking along the lines of Cafe Rio type burrito) I have issues with whole beans. It's the skins. I can eat refired and started eating breakfast burritos at 4 months no rice in my breakfast burrito though.

I ate many of these things sound three months out or do in small quantities.

I had a few pieces of sushi with my sashimi at 2 months so had rice with no problem. A spoon or two of ice cream, just for the taste, but more would cause me grief.

Teriyaki chicken was great from early out. I loved a lot of the frozen chicken wings, including honey garlic or teriyaki flavoured. I could not eat white meat but dark meat, especially wings, went down well. I did ration the sauces due to the carbs. And i stayed away from the ones with too much breading

I stayed away from diet coke for a year post op. I probably could have drank some if allowed to go flat but thought I would be better off controlling my weakness

Latest posts

Back