What magnesium citrate do you use?

huneypie

Wannabe
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Supplement labels can be tricky. If it says:

Magnesium Citrate - then the amount given is not elemental
Magnesium Citrate (as magnesium citrate) - then the amount given is elemental

Supplement labels can be tricky. If it says:

Magnesium Citrate - then the amount given is not elemental
Magnesium Citrate (as magnesium citrate) - then the amount given is elemental

That's sooo not obvious. I'm going to have to bookmark this as I'll no doubt forget.

How much do you take? I was thinking 2 tabs a la Vitalady, but I have since doubled the amount of calcium I take.

The suggested amount of magnesium is at least 1/2 as much as the amount of calcium you are taking. Though I have seen it suggested that it would be beneficial to take equal amounts. I will see if I can find the reference.

it is recommended you take half the magnesium citrate that you do calcium citrate. So if you are taking 2000 mg calcium, then you should take 1000 magnesium.

Thanks for the info!

Here is more:
Supplement Types
Magnesium supplements contain magnesium along with another substance, with each type of supplement containing different amounts of elemental magnesium. Magnesium oxide and magnesium citrate are two types of magnesium supplements. Other types include magnesium carbonate, magnesium sulfate, magnesium chloride, magnesium gluconate, magnesium lactate, magnesium aspartate and magnesium hydroxide. Magnesium oxide supplements contain 60 percent magnesium and magnesium citrate supplements contain 15 percent magnesium.
Bioavailability
The magnesium in some types of supplements is more bioavailable than that in other types. Magnesium citrate is more easily absorbed and more bioavailable than magnesium oxide, according to a study published in February 1990 in the "Journal of the American College of Nutrition." Because a higher percentage of the magnesium contained in magnesium citrate supplements is absorbed these supplements do not need to contain as much total magnesium to have the same effect as magnesium oxide supplements.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/457970-magnesium-oxide-vs-magnesium-citrate-tablets/

More from an old post of Vitalady's for constipation:

Word was that magnesium citrate was such a great thing. This is pills, not the green bottle, so I tried it and nothing happened, and so I kept increasing it. What DID happen is that my foot and leg cramps ceased. So, I kept doing that and tried magnesium oxide. This is small, cheap, found anywhere, like drug stores. And finally, it worked. Mine are 500 mg and I take 2.

My final formula:
1 serving MiraLax (rx) *
4 stool softeners at night
1 mag ox with lunch, 1 with dinner

In the morning, hot beverage first thing on empty gut

This has worked for several years now.

Latest posts

Back